I don't understand NBC's "Fall"

Yui108

Deity
I've heard a lot recently about how NBC is a "sinking ship" and the worst of three/four major stations in America (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) . This doesn't make any sense to me. For the late night talk shows NBC has Leno, O'Brien, and Kimmel. CBS only has Letterman, and FOX has Lopez (ewwwww). It seems they soundly win there. As far as sports NBC is beat by CBS and FOX with the NFL and ABC has the sporadically watched Olympics. And then for comedy shows NBS has 30 Rock, the Office, and SNL. CBS has some dramas, I think but none of the four big stations really beat cable for drama. They are the station I watch by far more than any of the other three. Can someone explain to me why NBC is failing?

Your opinion of the quality of shows does not mean those shows get good ratings, and hence does not guarantee a television network does or doesn't make money.

(I think NBC has some great shows too, specifically the comedies, but they don't bring in the ratings of American Idol and it's ilk)

NBC has a bunch of shows which are getting old. 30 Rock has been around since, what '05? And the Office has been around longer. It's not like either are big on ratings, well 30 Rock isn't at least. Saturday Night Live hasn't been funny or extremely popular for years, and because of the whole Leno debacle they're losing the ratings race to Letterman.

They've really got no original, long-lasting shows from the last few years that have lasted or good ratings.

I've heard a lot recently about how NBC is a "sinking ship" and the worst of three/four major stations in America (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) . This doesn't make any sense to me. For the late night talk shows NBC has Leno, O'Brien, and Kimmel. CBS only has Letterman, and FOX has Lopez (ewwwww). It seems they soundly win there. As far as sports NBC is beat by CBS and FOX with the NFL and ABC has the sporadically watched Olympics. And then for comedy shows NBS has 30 Rock, the Office, and SNL. CBS has some dramas, I think but none of the four big stations really beat cable for drama. They are the station I watch by far more than any of the other three. Can someone explain to me why NBC is failing?

NBC is a business and a business' main objective is to make money. In terms of quality NBC might be doing well, but as a business they have been losing customers:

NBC has lost viewers in each of the age ranges. Not only that, out of the 4 networks, they have lost the most viewers in each of the ranges.

The executives see this and think: "Now we will get less exposure and thus less advertising $$$"

The media sees this and reports that NBC isn't doing well as a business.

Some people see this and they aren't sure why the media is reporting that NBC isn't doing well, when they have such good shows on (and they do).

Thread gets posted on a forum asking for answers.

Answers are posted. Some include graphs and an unexplained run-on explanation.

TLDR: Look at the purple

I watch NBC more than those other stations. Most of my dorm is the same. (Although admittedly most of us catch television shows on Hulu now rather than seeing it live). Maybe that has something to do with why the young adults number is dwindling so low. DVRs probably also have an effect (Unless the recording counts as viewership)

The only channel I actually have to watch live is stupid (or brilliant? :rolleyes:) CBS because they don't show their programs online. So I have to actually watch The Mentalist on Wednesdays at 9 or else I don't see it at all.

CBS has the old folks and the Midwest with CSI.

ABC has the nerds and younger kids with J. J. Abrams shows.

FOX has Family Guy and American Idol for the college crowd.

NBC has...New Yorkers. Upper-class New Yorkers.

Top Bottom