I don't understand the economy

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mmmfloorpie, Oct 11, 2010.

1. schmere

schmere Chieftain

According to Greg (on his patch list, released yesterday) this is a bug. You should be getting the gpt relief for each unit disbanded, but it's only showing (immediately) after you disband a second. Will be fixed with the next release.

2. mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie Chieftain

My most successful game to date was just building libraries in all of my city and I had one of the wonders that modifies great person growth. I got Great Scientists all the time and I'd just keep using them to research the most expensive tech at the time. I had a good lead on all the other Civs, but while I was doing the science route, my neighbour was conquering every other civ on the continent and consolidating his power.

I would have been totally defensless, but forunately, he liked me!

3. whomybuddy

whomybuddy Chieftain

destroy the workers. It will reduce 7 to 10 gold per turn maintenance when you have a big empire. check all cities to Gold or Production don't worry about -1 or -4 in food because when citizens die out you'll gain more happiness XD.

4. JudgeDeath

JudgeDeath Warlord

This is just wrong. Start expansion wars asap (last game I did it after I had 2 cities). Just raze everything except the Capitals (which you can't) and backfill the spaces later.

5. waynester10

waynester10 Chieftain

There's been some good suggestions in this thread about how to reduce maintenance costs and handle economics. CivV is a lot different than CivIV in economics. It seems to me they tried to make the game so it forces you to balance social concerns and happiness of your people with the military side. There are big benefits later in the game over having wonders. There are ways of managing economy to a degree but I think the economics of CivV doesn't make sense. You really see the oddities of it if you play way beyond 2050. I won once as Bismark and kept playing till past 2700 AD. You end up with huge deficits on Gold unless you switch to Autocrasy. In Autocrasy it allowed me to produce military units when I did not have the resources to do it and it did not disband units to do it.

I also think that there are too many Golden Ages. They are a good thing but mainly because the balance of the game in resources/maintanence is off the rest of the time. Why should you need to plaster your map with trading posts just to have enough resources? Some can be done by limiting the number of costly buildings and extra units. But I would say this is where the economics makes things restrictive and unrealistic. When I played to 2700 AD the only times that I had enough gold was during Golden Ages. (This was when I had taken most of the entire map.) If you have wonders and good cultural going on you have more Golden Ages and therefore more gold. But this gold is temporary. I'm eager to see how the game acts with the next patch. I also plan to try the economics mod.

6. sosueme

sosueme Muckraker

This. CiV forces you to make meaningful decisions about what to do with your resources. Turn the difficulty down if you find his unenjoyable/too hard.

7. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Chieftain

So far in my current game as America on Shigg's Earth map I've been doing really well in all aspects of the game. Once in a while my gold will be a -gpt amount, but my total Gold amount has never gotten to 0, even without being in a Golden Age or having any Gold focused cities.

I've found it useful in time of excess spending (like when you need to field an army) to trade your duplicate Luxury resources to other Civilization for increased gpt. All of my Cities are pretty balanced in what they produce, none are entirely focused on one type of production, and a few of them already have all possible buildings built and the others are catching up in that aspect. I simply ensure my Happiness is high enough to support a new city (around 10 excess happiness) before I build a new city, and do the same for my gpt and buildings. As I get more gpt, I build more buildings. First I build Food increasing buildings, and then Gold increasing buildings, Production, Culture and Science. I've only been to war once, with the Aztecs when they attacked me, I fought back and started capturing cities and they offered to make Peace, gave me Luxury resources, GPT and offered me one of their own cities, lol.