1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't understand the fuss

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Nerochev, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerochev

Nerochev Chieftain

Yeah, Civ 5 isn't what we were all probably expecting. But it's not a bad game; personally I still find it enjoyable enough to play on a regular basis. I think the complaints are overstated, and I am finding the ones doing the complaining are the ones doing the least to improve their gameplay experience. In other words, I am calling them lazy.

I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with the game that can't be fixed either with a patch or a mod. Look at the attitude feature that was re-added in whichever patch, after people complained they couldn't see why the AI felt a certain way about the player. Other things, like religion or corporations or whatever, could very plausibly be added through modding. However, since the game has only recently been released, there are understandably few high-quality mods that significantly alter the gameplay. Be patient, they will come eventually. Every other civ game with a modding community has enough mods out there to make the game completely foreign to the developers. Civ 5 will be no different.

I remember a period of complaining for Civ 4 as well, before people decided "okay this game is pretty awesome". I think it is more the shock of having a new game dumped on you, instead of the old and familiar. As we all play the game more, though, and as the mod developers perform their magic, the shock will abate here as well. All it requires is some patience.

In short, I have no respect for the people who want the game to be perfect, to have all the flaws fixed immediately, and if not then obviously firaxis must be stealing or cheating or otherwise just too incompetent. Things aren't going to get fixed just because an ungrateful child has a hissy fit. Pull your heads out of your asses, man up, and wait for the game to improve either through patches, expansions or mods. Nobody wants to hear your incessant whining.

2. alysenne

alysenne Chieftain

Unfortunately, you can find the same behavior everywhere. It's what people do. Complaining is probably one of the most common internet hobbies.

MMORPG's are a good example. Every new game gets compared to WoW or EQ or some other game that been around for years. Of course the new game is going to suck in comparison, other than looking prettier. But that doesn't stop them from flooding forums, complaining endlessly, ragequitting, etc. Few people have the patience to stick around and see how the game matures.

Civ5 is a solid game, especially for the average player who isn't experienced enough to see the deeper flaws. A couple years from now, after patches and expansions, I'm sure Civ5 will be a lot better.

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: While we appreciate comments about the game, we don't appreciate comments about people who play this game, and this threads only purpose is to discuss the people, who don't like it.
    So i don't see how this thread is appropriate for this forum, and i also can't see any discussion value regarding Civilization 5.

-> Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.