I-dosing: new digital drug or just hot air?

J-man

Deity
Kansas news 9 is reporting a new phenomenon, called I-dosing. It involves listening with headphones to music (more accurately described as noise) which can get you high. According to Kansas news 9 kids from all over the US go to sites which offer MP3's which can get you high.

Perhaps most remarkable is that officials are taking it seriously:

And officials are taking it seriously.

“Kids are going to flock to these sites just to see what it is about and it can lead them to other places,” Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs spokesman Mark Woodward told News 9.

Link to video.

What do you think? New gate way drug or just nonsense? This story seems to be too silly to be true. Although a school district in Kansas has banned Ipods and send a letter to parents warning them.

source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/20...ndex+3+(Top+Stories+2))&utm_content=Bloglines

Nonsense to the extent that placebos are nonsense... or people getting "drunk" when you switch their regular beer for non-alcoholic.

This is also hardly 'new.' I-dosing stuff has been around for years.

It doesn't work.

It's just like the perception that coffee will give you energy. You trick your mind into thinking so.

It doesn't work.

It's just like the perception that coffee will give you energy. You trick your mind into thinking so.

Are you saying that the stimulant effects of caffeine are just a 'trick' of the mind?

What I find remarkable is that the authorities and the media in Kansas are taking this seriously!
Have they got nothing better to do? Why are they so hype prone?

At wired they have all sorts of questions btw:
Are we supposed to declare a war on cyberdrugs or a cyberwar on cyberdrugs? How will police know if a teen is with headphones on is i-dosing or just listening to Justin Bieber? Is the iPod the bong of the future? What would happen if some ne’er-do-well took over the console of the Super Bowl and dosed the entire country? What if kids smoked dried banana peels and listened to these trippy tunes at the same time — could they OD? What happens if someone sells a tainted MP3?

I'm confused. What is i dosing? What are they listening to? Just music? How can you get high off music (actually some music has moved me to the point of feeling high, but I digress)? Sounds like something from the Onion.

It's just parents being parents (what a teenager thing to say :mischief: :sad: )
Yes, the parents and authorities are just being clueless and paranoid.

Remember, parents: warn your children about drugs, especially the ones that do the least harm (marijuana) and the ones that might not even exist all. That way, when your children try them and find out that they aren't as bad as their panicky parents made them out to be, they'll see no reason to trust their judgment on the safety of heroin, crack cocaine, or crystal meth.

Isn't there a neurologist or something on CFC? I know there was an ask the doctor thread somewhere...

If you go to the I-dose website, it is marketed as drugs so blatantly it has to be a scam.

So bio-feedback is bad for you?

Breathing too hard is bad for you too, since it can raise your CO2 levels to be dangerously high.

And C6H1206 has a lethal dose, though not as low as the lethal dose of BoTox.

I tried this a year or so ago. It did give me a strange feeling. It was very mild and short lived. It most definelty wasn't worth listening to that crap. (or maybe i did it wrong?) I'm not sure if it was just placebo; but it just felt like some kiddie "drug". But i can see why this crap would become popular with kids.

Btw you can get dizzy (some could call it "high") if you just stay in the bed and listen to whatever music on the headphones and focus on it a lot (not thinking of anything else at all) for about an hour or so. Happened to me several times. :(

There are lots of easier ways for kids/people to experience drug-like feelings. I remember the 'choking game' was a big deal. Nutmeg is a household item which (in high doses) causes drug-like experiences.

And I-dosing isn't even free (from what I can tell)... why are kids spending money on it?

Another part of it, is that these adults don't understand technology or computers. They see "digital drug" and think of some sort of sci-fi fantasy. They don't understand what "tweeting" means and it surprises me they aren't spending their time making sure condoms aren't being given to kids instead of this.

You can also get high by reading some of my controversial poetry

Those willing to step into the world of insane hallucinations, read on

Spoiler :

This will get you high
Double rainbow in the sky
Are you high yet, bro?

No I only lightly giggled.

So are they talking about sensory deprivation (which can get you high) or just some noise "inducing hallucinations" (sounds like BS) or what?

BTW, caffeine really does give you energy

Top Bottom