1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel like getting over 10 thousand gold at the start of a Golden Age is OP

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Leathaface, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I was watching Marbozir play Vox Populi, the video is dated from August 8th of this year. When he began a Golden Age with Brazil he went from 16,983 gold up to 27,547 gold.

This was during an Industrial Era war with Montezuma (turn 424, Epic speed) and he was able to purchase Field Gun's instantly for 790 gold. A Field Gun would have taken 20 turns to produce in one of the cities he purchased one in. I feel like if you had a good amount of gold and you spent a substantial amount to purchase a Field Gun that'd be OK, but Marbozir was able to constantly just keep instantly buying units without putting a dent in his gold.

I mean he had 27.5K gold, 790 gold isn't a big chunk of that. It's almost like "why build units at all?", all you have to do is keep purchasing them with that Golden Age money. 3 of your units got killed in a single turn? Normally that would put a big dent in your war effort, but when you can purchase 3 more instantly for 2.4K gold, less than a tenth of your total gold amount, it's not a big dent at all.

I feel like building units should take resources from your cities, production to build them. That production could have been put into buildings or wonders, but you make a sacrifice when building units, a necessary sacrifice most of the time. But if you've 10 cities, then hit a Golden Age and can instantly purchase 10 units with that money you got from the Golden Age, and still have money left over and making 250 gold per turn. I'm not a fan of that system.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

Try being Carthage, I feel like Scrooge Mcduck sometimes. Not sure if that is intended effect for game balance.

Attached Files:

3. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Must be very lucky that there are no ((spies)) suddenly stealing his gold around.. or did he disable them?

Also, I think Brazil's UA is just very strong with game speed since it takes 50% of the Golden Age Point(which is doubled for Epic) needed to make a Golden Age into Gold(this process is then doubled).

So you just have 4x more gold than you would be getting on standard speed.

4. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Chieftain

It only affects Brazil as it is part of their UA. There are penalty for buying unit though, their experience is halved. "But why do I need experience when I can just buy another unit and another unit and another unit?" There's a strategy involving highly experienced unit and most of the times (at least for me) It's always quality winning over quantity.

@Enginseer Is it possible to remove the doubling effect for Epic and Marathon ONLY for this interaction?

5. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

Gold can be very strong, or very weak in other situation. In one of my venice game, I end up with more than 200k gold with notthing to spend on :)

6. YukiN

YukiN Chieftain

Getting half a gold with every happiness or golden age point isn't OP. Sounds like a snowball Brazil or insufficient difficulty.

Do Golden Age points scale differently from gamespeed (epic is 1.5x)? Also, why would it be doubled twice?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  7. suriv

suriv Chieftain

Unit cost is also scaled with game speed. Things are costly in epic and costlier in marathon.

8. Enginseer

My mistake, it would take 1.5x golden age point normally to achieve a golden age.

Which then get amplified as 1.5x of the epic bonus into thus 2.25x multiplier here. Take 50% of it as gold and you have 1.125x of golden age point being converted into gold.

No op ness here. You have to be in a golden age first.

9. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

OK, how about I word it like "get 12 free units each time you start a Golden Age"? Which is essentially what was happening. Plus Marbozir had 60 Global Happiness and was getting Great Artists at a good pace, so getting a Golden Age didn't take much effort.

10. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

Shouldn't the x1.5 multiplier only scale once in that case? You'd get x1.5 the gold and things cost x1.5 more.

11. Enginseer

it does scale once, but since the point required for the golden age is multiplied by 1.5x, you get ultimately (1.5^2)/2 instead from gold.

12. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Turn 424 epic, isn't this game near the end?
    10k gold is not such a big deal, considering this is one of the big unique bonuses for Brazil. It does not come free. Marb had to invest in golden age points throughout the game, if he had 20k GAP (this is more than 50 GAP per turn). You can do it focusing on Carnivals, but getting your demanded luxury is not always easy. (I guess Brazil settles very few Towns).
    Also, planning for starting golden ages is weighting more golden ages versus longer golden ages. In the first case you get Brazil bonus, but without longer golden ages you might lose some golden age turns. If you use all your Great Artists just for starting golden ages, you are not increasing your great works collection, and your golden ages might be very short.

The real thing is this: how often does Brazil win?

13. Questdog

Questdog Chieftain

All the yields in VP get insane eventually.....It does not matter that they are compensated in other ways or by the fact that other Civs are getting more....these are just some big silly numbers to deal with sometimes....especially the instant yields.

14. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

I would understand your argument if he went from 0 gold to 10,000 gold. That isn't what happened. He went from having 16,000 unused to gold to having.........even more unused gold! I've had more than 1,000 GPT in income before. Phrase it as "10 turns of gold for entering a golden age" and its really not so strong. Brazil doesn't appear to be all that popular or powerful even with this golden age effect.

CppMaster and Volbelis like this.
  15. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

That's what I mean. The Gold already scales on points required for GA, it shouldn't get a x1.5 modifier at the end.