1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel... sad

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by fdrpi, May 31, 2016.

1. fdrpi

fdrpi Chieftain

I got Civ IV for my 13th birthday. It's my favorite video game. I'm a huge history buff, and I loved the complex gameplay. It's brought me so many hours of happiness over the years. When Civ V came out, I was so excited. The reviewers praised it ad nauseum, but when I went to order it on Amazon, I saw something strange: the average was only 3 out of 5 stars. I read the user reviews. I read Sullla's review of the game. I didn't buy it.

It had problems, things that turned me off from it as a Civ game. There were the functionality issues and the comparative simplicity, but to me, the historical flavor was the nail in the coffin. Why does George Washington have a Texan accent? Why is Napoleon's UA (Ancien Regime) the very system he despised and finished off? How does global happiness make sense on a civilization scale?

I stayed with Civ IV. I love the game, but it's not perfect. I wanted a sequel to improve on these issues, to maintain the complexity that we all loved so much. At the same time, Civ V had the beautiful graphics and several cool and interesting ideas. I periodically debate whether to try out Civ V, but never do. Besides, after 8 years (for me), sometimes even your favorite game can get a bit tired.

So when Civ VI inched closer to announcement, I was excited. Here was a fresh start, a chance for them to learn from their past mistakes and triumphs and make an awesome game, but it doesn't seem that that's going to happen.

Civ V is the best-selling Civ game, and I strongly believe this is principally because it was on Steam. However, 2K and Firaxis has interpreted this as a result of the simplicity. With graphics that seem determined for no one to take the game seriously, to a nonsensical district system (the scale is worse than Transformers, and that's not how cities work!), the potential for extreme railroading in gameplay, it looks DOA for me. But the worse thing about it is (according to previews and testimony) how similar it is to Civ V. Not because I don't like V, but because they took absolutely no risk. They've decided that this is what sells, so they're just going to do more of the same, except even simpler, even more "casual".

That's what makes me sad. Not a bad game, but the fact that my kind of game has been deemed obsolete. In just a couple years, a venerable gaming franchise has almost completely replaced its fanbase. The franchise as I briefly knew it, is likely gone for good. These games are no longer for me.

So here's to 5 more years of Civilization IV! May you explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate in a way that you find enjoyable and fulfilling.

2. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

Why don't you try a different game? I mean I understand you, Civilization IV is the greatest game of all times but I'm also stopping playing it because 5 years of competetive gaming in CIV were the heaviest gaming time of my whole life. There are lots of good games out there, Camelot Unchained to name an MMO will come out next year and there was another game that was from the same developer that developed CIV, it's name was something like "x tycoon" or so. And then just all the good retro games like Mario Cart or get yourself a Playstation and a Laser-Pistol and play Gross Point Blank, I think that was the best game I ever played before I knew CIV, it makes so incredibly much fun to shoot on a TV with two people and kill targets or animals. Or Quake 4, that's the best shooter that I know apart from this years similar release Doom 2016 which needs PCs that only the fewest people simply have nowadays. Or a Space Shooter with a Gamepad or Joystick, Wingcommander Legacy is a fanbased project that was developed over 8 or 10y and it's completely free.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

You could also mod IV if you want a new experience. Try Rhye's and Fall Dawn of Civilization, it's like a totally new game and historical flavor is off the charts!

4. Staler87

Staler87 Chieftain

Shouldn't you wait for civ VI to come out before passing judgement? They have added civ IV style government systems and a new 'cultural' tech tree. I believe it will now be both technological and cultural civs that build wonders. Plus the guy that is designing civ VI is not the same guy that designed civ V.

Have you tried civ V? Although I have many more hours in civ IV than V I still consider both to be good games.

5. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I understand what you mean. Its a shame really, but unless someone picks up the Call2Power franchise or make something similar to civ (actually its strange no one have. Its a pretty good seller afaik), then the way things are going is going to go for the worse.

Some like to call us dinosaurs, and tbh in many way we are. Just look at the recommended top 5 games thread ;) but imho there was a pinnacle of gaming around 10 years ago. There are still being made many amazing games (f.ex. GTA series have improved for each version I think) but the turnbased strategy genre is getting worse and worse.

From what I have seen of Civ6, it does look like an improvement, though even if it took 5 steps forward compared to civ5, civ5 still took 20 steps backwards compared to civ4, and if my dinosaur brain tries to do the math civ6 still 15 steps behind civ4.

So here's to another 5 years (lets make it 10) of happy civ4 gaming. :cheers:

6. fdrpi

fdrpi Chieftain

I haven't played Rhys in a long time, but I love FFH. Maybe I'll give that another spin. I love that mod, but I remember the victory conditions being a little difficult.

I've also gotten really into board games over the years. I would highly recommend to everyone Twilight Struggle, a 2 player area control game about the Cold War, and 7 Wonders, a drafting game about the 7 wonders.

7. cseanny

cseanny Chieftain

Civ IV is absolutely Dying.

Civ 5 was one of the worst games I've ever played however..............I'd suggest moving on to a new game. The forums here are slowing way way down not to mention HoF participation at an all time low.

Unfortunately all things come to an end =/. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

^^ Thankfully we can play this beautiful game forever (?) without the need for a forum or competitive play. If Firaxis keep going with more simplistic and shallow games, I guess that is what we have to do.

Or move on.

Suppose I'm a "dinosaur" too. I love some of the older games, like Baldur's Gate. I won't use Steam so that limits new things a bit, seeing as they have a de facto monopoly on new games now, but there is the new trend of independent games via kickstarter and such, so that is always something to look forward to. I have backed several such games, and some of them are a lot of fun. Hopefully more will come too. I hope that trend isn't over.

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

However, you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.

-Albus Dumbledore

As long as I keep playing Civ IV it will never die!

10. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Chieftain

I'm a dinosaur too... and proud of it. The last few weeks I've been playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Brings back such good memories. I'm waiting for Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition to be delivered and I'll enjoy it just as much. But come August No Man's Sky will be released and I hope it lives up to all the hype. Guess with everything on my plate I'll be taking an extended break from civ4. I just hope my next computer in a few years will be capable of running civ4. Civ4 for ever!!!!

11. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator Supporter

I feel sad, too.

Civ has been a big part of my life for about 8 years. It's seen me through the loss of my best friend, the suicide of my wife and a near fatal car accident. No matter what life threw at me, there was always Civ there as my trusted friend.

The problem is that now I can't even finish a game. I'm bored of it. After 8 years, I feel like there is nowhere left to go with the game anymore. Even modding has become a boring chore. I tried a Civ 5 game with a mod that's supposed to make the game better, but I didn't last 20 turns before I lost interest in that, too. I'm just civved out, I guess.

Civ 4 will always have a special place in my heart, but I think it's time I moved on, or at least took a hiatus from it. Maybe I'll feel differently after a year of withdrawal, who knows?

Bye. :)

12. SombreDolphin

SombreDolphin Chieftain

Suppose you could call me a dinosaur too, granted, I haven't played civ as much as you folks since I got it (like... I can't even remember xD). But I love civ4, I'd play it for hours, but I was a dumb kid back then and didn't really know much, so of course I would always use the world builder when I got my butt kicked by.. everybody... Now I'm older and I understand how things work a bit better (not just civ, but like.. the world) Of course I'm still a bit green, but I'm learning.

I did try civ5 and it... just didn't feel right ya know? Maybe if I woulda had civ5 first then maybe I would have liked it, but I prefer civ4 ten-fold. (of note... I got screwed on that deal, $50... fricking... ugh)

13. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I feel a bit sad, too... but I don't want to make the feeling just about Civ. In the 90s and early 00s I played a ton of Civ, played D&D with a regular group of friends, played bar trivia games... all those things (and more) aren't the same anymore due to the advance of technology or the pastime evolving in a way that didn't interest me. That's life.

Beyond that, I got into Civ1 in my university days, Civ2 shortly after. In those days I had relatively few responsibilities and tons of free time - again, relatively speaking. I got Civ4 right around the time life started getting busy. And now? Even if Civ6 was everything I could hope for, I wouldn't be able to log nearly as many hours on it as I put into 2 and 4.

14. fdrpi

fdrpi Chieftain

I take several month breaks between time playing Civ. I never play it during the school year, even if I am interested. This leaves it as something I only bring out now and again for the most part.

15. DrCron

DrCron Chieftain

If you're a history nerd try Dawn of Civilization, the expansion to Rhyes and Fall, it's really great.

Now, I'm going to say that today I read an interview that made me very optimistic about Civ VI. What I got from it is:

1) City specialization is back.
    2) Barbarians are a bigger threat than they were in Civ V.
    3) Overall, the game is harder than V (check final answer).

Also, we know that:

4) Units can now be combined
    5) Each AI leader will have a specific agenda.

All of this reminds me of Civ IV, so I think this new game will be much better than V. As good as IV? Well, maybe not, IV is the best game ever IMO, so that's a very tough match to beat. But I'm optimistic, what I've been reading suggests they are fixing the dumb stuff they did in V.

16. HughFran

HughFran Chieftain

I concur

17. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Thanks for the link, DrCron

I have to admit that I'm a bit more optimistic about VI, of late. And this coming from someone dislikes V immensely (and, yes, I've played quite a bit of it to know).

Ofc, I still have many reservations, and still feel the Civ series is moving away from some of the great things from its past. However, the team appears to be at least learning from some of the mistakes of V while trying to do a lot of new things that make Civ fresh.

I was never really looking for the next game to be Civ IV with a fresh coat of paint (although a remastered version would be shweet - I suggested it to 2k), but rather a game with fresh ideas, depth and complexity that we've expected from the pre-V versions. Hopefully, with better UI, better delivery at release, and limiting the poor design decisions of which V had many.

who knows..VI might end up please the old fogies and newbies alike.

18. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I donno tbh.
    A quick check says around 180 in civ4 forums, 360 in civ5 forums and 10 in BE forums....

For me civ4 have never been more alive. I've started to correct the stuff I didnt personally like about civ4 (suicide sieges f.ex.), and there are still quite a few modders around, especially the C2C mod, but also alot of other mods too.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg. For every player on the forum I think there is 1000 out there. Maybe more.

With the direction the civ-series took with 5, I think there might be quite a few people who will stick with Civ4, even though 6 took a step (or more) in the right direction.

19. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

My condolences for your losses, LemonMerchant. Though I'm not sure if you'll read this thread anymore if you're really quitting Civ for some time...

20. cseanny

cseanny Chieftain

I've already decided to hop ship over to 6 (I hate 5 with a passion). Traffic numbers aren't an end all tell but forum activity and game participation certainly is.

HoF is sadly pathetic. That's a big one for me seeing how I now play almost exclusively HoF. The recent G-Minors have been laughable as well as HoF challenger series participation. The only Mods I use are Buffy or Bat and those don't actually change the official rules/actions. Any Mods that actually change the rules, era, actions of the AI, etc are not for me (huge turn off actually). Imo the game needs to be played as it was designed, period (once again, necessary in HoF anyways).

So yeah, Civ IV is probably dead for me very soon too. Civ 6 looks like it has the potential to be a fine game. Time will tell.