i feel stupid for asking

El_Duderino

Warlord
Who is hyborem? i assume hes one of agares' angels but is there really even a back story for him?

Yes. Read the Fall from Heaven History in the Civilopedia. A lot was added to that recently, including the explaination of how Hyborem came to be.

Although Agares has more angels/demons serving him than does any other god, he created none of them. They are all corruptions of the creations of others. Hyborem is no different. Hyborem was once one with Cernunnos, the Great Horned One. Cernunnos it seems may have been the strongest of the Archangels, since only he dared to attack Agares n Nyx directly. Agares showed him a vision of his corrupted self, and the shock was so intense that it split him in two, bringing the vision to life. This vision was Hyborem, who was identical to Cernnunos except in that he is evil, and in that he is dark and bloody in color. He then (or latter) become the lord of the Balors, the mighty true demons that arose where the darkness of Agares' hell bended with the flames of the fallen Bhall. Since they are described as true demons instead of former mortals, I suspect that these were angels of fire who, like their mistress, succumbed to the dark side.

The other half of Cernunnos went on to become a God, when Sucellus was killed and Resurrected as the new God of Life. He is the weakest of the gods, since he alone was not made by The One, but is still stronger than any of the other archangels. He is the main diety f thr Fellowship of the Leaves (although they mostly just worship nature, and they also revere the gods of Life and Creation, Sucellus and Amathaon).

It would seem that it might not apply to him. Of course, it did apply to Sucellus who used to rule the precept of Nature. Sucellus would have been in charge of keeping Cernunnos in line before, and he would have been punished like Odio if he had broken it. He may very well have had to agree to uphold the agreement in order to gain his sphere. I suspect that is the case. Also, since he was not a creation of The One, it may be possible to kill him without the use of the Godslayer anyway.

Of course, The One and Nemed are not bound by the agreement at all. Although Nemed gave up his sphere, I think that he must still be immortal and around somewhere. The parts of the compact related to worshipers and use of divine power aren't really relevant to him, but I'm pretty sure that non agreeing to the compact means the Godslayer would be of no use against him.

but did not the compact apply to all of the gods and their angels as well? if that is the case, and cerunnos was an archangel at the time, he is still bound by it. The fact that he was promoted wouldnt negate agreements he was bound to prior to his divine ascension.

Archangels could enter Erebus after the compact. Hyborem, as I can tell, is not breaking it by entering. Also, Ceruneouss, befor gohood, entered creation to watch over the elves. Also, Sirona's archangel appears in Ethen's apedia entry, and I'm sure there's more. The limts of the compact are odd, and hard to tell what exactly is allowed.

Actually, it is Nantosuelta's Archangel, Splendor, whom Ethne saw. Sirona's Archangel is Pelian the Suffering.

I don't think that just entering creation is a breach of the contract, but what they do there can be. Odio was not allowed to rampage through creation, but Sucellus was allowed to live among and guide the Ljosalfar through the Age of Ice.

Yet sabathiel is not allowed in creation... he has to guid the bannor from an interdimensional pocket...

Yet sabathiel is not allowed in creation... he has to guid the bannor from an interdimensional pocket...

Maybe as long as he doesn't actually step on (or fly in, as would be the case) Erebus itself, he is not breaking the compact.

Maybe as long as he doesn't actually step on (or fly in, as would be the case) Erebus itself, he is not breaking the compact.

Yes but... Why are Hyborem and Basium alowed to enter creation and cause all kinds of trouble, but Sabathiel isn't allowed in at all. Maybe its because he leads a nation of humans? He's sort of interfering with the ''let them lead their own lives'' principle of the compact. Basium has angels and Hyborem has angels, the angels can decide who they want to follow.

On the other hand, if he chose to leave heaven and basically stop beeing a proper angel like Cassiel or the Order hero. It would be fine.

Well, his entry says that he id bound "to the strictest interpretation of the compact." Maybe the most gods and archangels read it a little more loosely.

Plus, Sabathiel is the archangel of Junil, god of Law. I expect Junil would be fairly scrupulous about honouring the Compact, at least when it comes to his second-in-command.

And, bear in mind that Hyborem gets summoned into this world by the Infernal Pact. Perhaps the gods simply don't have the power to send their arcangels to Erebus, but if they can get there any other way, they're safe.

Yes but... Why are Hyborem and Basium alowed to enter creation and cause all kinds of trouble, but Sabathiel isn't allowed in at all. Maybe its because he leads a nation of humans? He's sort of interfering with the ''let them lead their own lives'' principle of the compact. Basium has angels and Hyborem has angels, the angels can decide who they want to follow.
I think Basium is technically fallen though, a breaker of the compact. Hyborem might have found a loophole or also have broken the compact. Question though, is the Godslayer effective against archangels?

Maybe the godslayer only works on those who actually signed the compact because they all used a piece of thier powers to create the godslayer.

Top Bottom