I figured out why islands have objectively superior cultures

attackfighter

Emperor
It's the principal of Less is More. The finite landscape demarcates the island culture from everything else, allowing a unique culture to blossom in lonely isolation. They flourish into pristine roses of vibrant hue, standing in contrast to the exotic jungles of continental vegetation.

Well, I do like the principle of Less is More, I must say.

But quite why you think islands have objectively superior cultures is something of a mystery to me.

Does it matter how large the island is, for instance? (Some islands are really tiny and don't have any people on them.)

And "objectively superior" in relation to which other cultures? The only other cultures I can think of are continental ones; and I can see no reason to think that British culture (for a random example) is "superior" in any way to French or German culture (to compare countries of roughly equal sizes). Though of course it is different.

Btw I suspect you're using "objectively" here to just mean "really, really, truly, honestly". Which leads me to think that maybe you don't hail from an island culture yourself. Am I right?

It's the principal of Less is More. The finite landscape demarcates the island culture from everything else, allowing a unique culture to blossom in lonely isolation. They flourish into pristine roses of vibrant hue, standing in contrast to the exotic jungles of continental vegetation.
Yeah, Easter Island was real rosy after it basically got turned into a wasteland... :coffee:

Proof that the primacy of the British was inevitable

Does it make a difference whether the culture is an island one or an archipelago?

Maldives #1

I figured it out too. Insular and isolated people are full of themselves and just assume they're superior.
When they're not isolationist they sail around the world until they find people who haven't figured out gun powder or steam power yet and conquer them to make themselves feel better.

Which land masses are NOT surrounded by water though? And isn't that the definition of an island?

But quite why you think islands have objectively superior cultures is something of a mystery to me.

Come on, just compare the cultural output of the the US to Australia to see how objectively superior island cultures are ;)

Best example: Japan.

I reject the premise. :D

Caribbean islands and islands in the Aegean look very pretty, I'll give you that.

Yeah, Easter Island was real rosy after it basically got turned into a wasteland... :coffee:

Fallout: Easter Island

What is so unique about the Japanese culture?

HOW DARE YOU IMPLY GLIRIOUS NIPPON HAS NO UNIQUENESS DO YOU KNOW HOW POWERFUL KATANAS ARE THEY CAN CUT THROUGH SOLID CONCRETE

Well loads of people have lived in valleys they never left

Why would that be different?

HOW DARE YOU IMPLY GLIRIOUS NIPPON HAS NO UNIQUENESS DO YOU KNOW HOW POWERFUL KATANAS ARE THEY CAN CUT THROUGH SOLID CONCRETE

Now you've made me post this.

Katana vs German longsword.

Agreed. There are many sheep lovers in the world, but no one does it quite like the industrial era New Zealanders.

The lonely isolation of the island is truly unique.

I'm not an Aussie.

THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A FAKE VIDEO REAL KATANA WOULD DESTROY INFERIOR WESTERN PRODUCT

^ which one is which? I don't know my swords very well :blush:

Katana is the one that gets broken, I think, because it's curved.

Top Bottom