I find that the only way to enjoy Civilization VI is to turn barbarians off.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by CivAddict2013, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I can handle barbs up to Emperor difficulty, but on Immortal they become too much.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The ideal game is get builder/settler up to agoge and then switch to units after that until Political philosophy when you switch to more settlers. Your initial barbs key job is to scan close to your camp and attack any barb camp you can find, If a barb scout appears you are forced to build your army early but as I said, it's not that common, especially if your warrior is doing her job.

3. Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons Full-time Cat Lover

Wow! I like the idea of my warrior units being female! That makes the game a LOT more interesting.... :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

4. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Gorgo may be really depressed if there's no barbarians for her to kill:lol::lol::lol::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Victoria likes this.
  5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I wish civ games had a barbarian slider instead of just "regular, raging, off".

I'd like to set them to half-quantity or maybe 2/3rds. I'd like a reduction, but definitely not OFF.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Warriors and slingers don't cost maintenance, and you can get conscription at state workforce to make archers no upkeep.

CPWimmer likes this.
  7. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

First, there is no right or wrong way to play. It's great that we have the option to turn them on or off so everyone can play in the way that is most fun for them. Having said that, if you are someone who wants to play with barbs on and are looking for advice, I would say what I quoted from Victoria is really the best advice. One builder, one settler and maybe a scout first to find huts, get free envoys and pick up eureka like meeting a civ, meeting 3 cs, finding a natural wonder, discovering a new continent, etc.

Aside from that you want to use the 50% discount policy and pump out at least 3 slingers and maybe another warrior then switch back to the +5 vs barbarians policy. Spread them in a sort of triangle formation around your cities to push back the fog as much as possible. If you are pushing the fog back barb camps will not be able to spawn near your cities giving you time to take out the scout and camp before they find you. One warrior and slinger should always be going after nearby camps while the other slingers are parked on a hill on the edge of your territory staying on lookout duty, keeping that fog back. Also, upgrading to archers as soon as possible is a huge upgrade from slingers.

As for infrastructure or competing for a religion, that's what that settler was for. If you can settle second city in a decent production area, one city can build the holy site while the other builds the military. With the last patch many AI don't compete for religions as aggressively as they did previously.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Tiger Genocide and Thormodr like this.
  8. PYITE

PYITE Prince

For anyone who is looking for a longer grace period at the beginning of the game the YnAMP mod (you can play any of the vanilla maps with it) has an advanced setting that lets you choose what turn the camps can spawn their first scout.

9. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Warlord

Started a new domination game this morning. My civ is Gilgamesh and the first neighboring civ was Alexander. I was almost immediately invaded by Barbarians so spent the first hour churning out slingers and war-carts to fight them off.

I eventually cleared four Barbarian camps before I could turn my attention to Alexander. When I got to his capital every tile was pillaged and his population was 2. I captured his first settler on the way there.

I had a heap of eurekas, promotions and gold from killing Barbarians while they were crippling my first main opponent.

10. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

Barbarians are the only challenge the game presents, even on Deity. Unlike the AI civs, they actually sometimes attack your cities with more than one unit.

11. Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons Full-time Cat Lover

I just tried a new game with barbs. For a little while it was kinda neat. But after a while, they became the boring nuisance that I remembered them to be.

I had to start over without them.

I just can't deal with the little buggers. Too much fecal excrement to deal with... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

12. myclan

myclan Prince

Sometimes I think the most dangerous Barbarian unit is the caraval. If you play a peacefulgame, build a coastal city wihout wall, and negelect the navy, they just come in a sudden and can even .destory your city with 50Strength

13. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

What they usually do is turn up right when I just got Exploration and my entire fleet is off fogbusting. They proceed to eat all my sea trade routes. And God forbid you have embarked civilians. :mad:

14. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Personally, while I don't like barbs I can't turn them off either. Turning off would mean I could open with no units for quite a while and that also means there's nothing to do at the start.

15. Kin

Kin Chieftain

I remember my first game in Civ I. I sent my warrior out exploring and the barbs stepped in and took my city and I lost the game. So they have been a nuisance since the beginning. Just be thankful they don't take cities like they used to.

16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I learned the hard way not to have any coastal cities without walls. Not necessarily from the barbarians, but it's frustrating that a single AI ship can take out like a size 5 city on its own. Still I suppose that's realistic, I mean the city is without walls after all. It's the first thing I build in newly conquered coastal cities or cities near the edge of my empire.

Another lesson I learned in Civ2 through 4 (haven't played Civ1), never have un-garrisoned cities. :)

17. brewgod

brewgod Prince

I guess it’s give and take. I have barbs off most of the time since Holy Sites are critical in my playing. Love buying Science and Theatre buildings with Faith etc. Yet the AI moves quick when they have no barbs too. Yet you need to spend so many of your first 30 turns or more on military units while trying to get settlers out !

18. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I like Barbarians. It is a challenge to face while you are trying to come up with a strategy to make your empire grow and prosper. It can be frustrating, but I have not had the experience where it is just too much. I broke into a sweat, yes, but it has made it fun.

Edit: plus that is the easiest way to get my slingers and warriors to upgrade and to get Archers quicker.

19. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'm on the fence with barbarians. Sometimes you can get a great start before they spot you, other times they're practically on your doorstep. I've edited the declaration file for the starting distance for Barbarians and that seems to help a little. It gives me a couple of extra tiles to play with before the reds come running over. I still have the same number of camps and so forth, but they're not right in my face.

20. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

tbh, I found that Barbarians are one of the few things that actually deliver on one of the premises that were hyped before the game was released, that "every match will play out differently". Maybe not "every match", but the difference between a start where you have to deal with barbarians, and a start where you are left alone, is pretty large. One is clearly more difficult than the other, but in Singleplayer, I don't really care. Just my personal opinion, but this mindset of wanting to play an optimal strategy and that barbarians "unfairly prevent you from doing that" actually make the game a lot more stale and "same-y".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Ondolindë likes this.