I find War with City States a bit exploitable. Opinions?

Bryan317

Prince
Hello again! I'm back for my quarterly playthrough of Civ5 VP. It Never gets old and I learn something new every time! I must first express gratitude to all devs involved with this masterpiece.

Now... On to my topic. I'll say for reference that I do play on deity.

My routine is to wait until a nearby CS has made a worker. Demand tribute, declare war, grab the worker and then you can quickly make peace with no consequences. You could anger a major civ, but this is really a minor diplomatic penalty and they get over it while you can continue warring the CS for 2000 years. Someone can even ally with them during the war! No effect noticed... You can essentially do this to any minor civ making it unnecessary to produce your own workers.

Now, the real exploit comes with how you can continue to farm off the city-state for XP. Instead of making peace, continue an infinite war with your closest CS neighbor. The units won't give you XP after a certain point but attacking the city will. But more importantly, the city attacking YOU will also give XP. Don't get me wrong this is a bit tedious, but I can let the city-state keep attacking me over hundreds of turns to build up the melee units XP. Archers should be obvious, just have them keep attacking the city. You can seriously build up insane levels doing this. Do it long enough (like I did) and you'll have a great general before ever entering into war with a major civ. It's one thing if you were to continue on a war rampage sacking every CS. But the fact that you can milk it all off of one city makes it a bit exploitable IMO.

Some points I want to make here is that for about 100 turns of this war I do this with an upgraded Scout (Medic II), a Warrior and an Archer. I have another Pathfinder out exploring. I have only four of the weakest units. They are well away from my towns and no other civ seems to be bothering me. Not only that but after about 200 turns I finally occupy the city and all the other Civs seem quite intimidated by my measly army now. It even leads me to say that the AI seems a bit docile in the early game. They are too eager to enter declarations of friendship on Deity anyways. We should feel like our neighbors are waiting for the first chance to invade our borders.

I'm curious if anybody has some opinions on this. I can tell you this much... if you're struggling getting into the deity level try this exploit. Load up with workers, high level units and a great general to get you started into the classical age.

Last edited:
I don’t like to farm barbarian camps for exp, so aside from grabbing one worker I don’t farm CS either.

Could easily fix by making XP from attacking or being attacked by a City-State cap at the CS XP cap as was probably intended anyway.

I don’t like to farm barbarian camps for exp, so aside from grabbing one worker I don’t farm CS either.
Yeah this will probably be my tactic going forward. Grabbing one worker is definitely worth it and beyond that it's just tedious. When I realized I actually earned a great general I felt a bit guilty lol That's when I came here and made this post.

You can play Pangea communitas, puts CS on outside islands or without CS, but mechanics are meant to be abused if you go high difficulty.

I suppose it's worth noting that a few nearby city states have grown weary of me and the resting point for their influence has dropped to -40. So I suppose this tactic does have its pros and cons. By warring with city-states you can potentially lose quests. In my case losing influence with two city-states was worth some high-level units, a great general and a puppet city in BC times.

on deity/marathon i sometimes adopt this tactic, as its quite difficult to get high level units with the XP multiplier in place and having at least a few XP'd units is really critical by mid-game. Mostly play 43-civ continents+ maps though so CS are not always nearby to make this work... in fact quite rarely

While I don't find it game breaking, its probably not intended (once upon a time VP allowed CS units to be farmed directly, and this change was supposed to fix that iirc); CS city should be treated same as CS units imo

Top Bottom