I Give Up on Playing Peacefully

Now I know more I forward settle them in a very unpleasant location (a bit like they do) and I always look out for their settler to stop them if I can.
I'll DOW them at some stage, take a nice city and give them my forward settled city as recompense. That way my warmonger is not high and I have swapped an amenity city for a non amenity one.

It is just an annoying move they do because it is clearly waaaay too close to be anything other than a troll and razing it gives you a perm -20 with that civ. It is a part of civ 6 that puts me off significantly because there is no elegant fix once that settler is planted.

It is just an annoying move they do because it is clearly waaaay too close to be anything other than a troll and razing it gives you a perm -20 with that civ.

Indeed, which is why you hated me the rest of the game. Also, we met on turn 5 and you hated me for being on another continent. I CAN'T CHANGE THAT FACT, CUT ME SOME SLACK!

Being peaceful isn't always a problem, going 60 turns without founding a second city while trying to be peaceful is though. If you want to maximize your chances of succeeding peacefully you absolutely need to expand as quickly as possible and claim as much territory as you need to pursue your victory type before anyone else does. The longer you wait, the higher the chance you'll need to go to war for it, which you'd decided you don't want to do.

Deciding to play peacefully is a bad idea in general though, but that doesn't mean playing peacefully is. You don't always have a choice, and I think that's a good thing. It forces you to always be assessing your situation and be ready to adapt to it. Civ 5 was way too much about optimal build order, and a big part of that was due to the relative security of being able to decide "I'm going to play peaceful and tall this time". Really the only thing that would ever stop that from happening was spawning next to Shaka. While it was still a really fun game, it did make things way too predictable and mechanical.

If you're going to give up on anything, it should be giving up on committing to how you're going to play before a game has even started.

Last edited:
If you're going to give up on anything, it should be giving up on committing to how you're going to play before a game has even started.
I agree. I have general strategies - I assume everyone does - but committing to something like a peaceful game before you even scout the area is deliberately making the game harder on yourself. Which is, of course, perfectly valid. Making the game harder, I mean. Someone in another thread about peaceful play said that he felt like fighting the AI in combat felt like an exploit, it was so bad at defending itself, and I kind of agree.

we met on turn 5 and you hated me for being on another continent. I CAN'T CHANGE THAT FACT, CUT ME SOME SLACK!
When we met on turn 5 I saw that other magical continent you live on and realized if I took your city I get a free warrior/sword etc. I was going to ask for the gold that warrior was worth to ignore it but you seemed upset you had to pay 25 gold to send some sycophants my way. I'm not sure what i was offended by most... probably those bumbling idiots (waves fan in disgust and turns away)

upload_2017-4-19_14-47-11.png

(waves fan in disgust and turns away)

You do have a wicked "fan snap."

Being peaceful isn't always a problem, going 60 turns without founding a second city while trying to be peaceful is though.

I'm curious, what difficulty and/or speed do you play on?

Also, in the second screenshot I had a second city founded back before turn 50 that you can see. I don't remember the exact turn number.

To prevent that, I settle around as fast as I can, so it's generally me forward-settling the AI. can't really blame them for doing to me what I do to them, can I?
if I don't have a settler, I can use a unit to take the place the AI want to settle. sometimes I can use the faulty path-finding algorithm to move 2-3 units in such a way that the AI settler will always move back and forth and never be able to progress.
i generally don't like to go to war, it feels too much like shooting on the red cross, and after I conquer all the cities I have too many cities and need to micromanage all of them, so it slows my game. I like to decide at the beginning I'm going to take a certain amount of land, take it early, and then develop it gradually.

Just played a game (emp), I had a good early army, 6-7 archers, 2 warriors. By turn 60, China had 3 cities around my cap (each within 4-5 tiles, one was a captured city state). They had no army to speak of, but the three cities pumped out archers and horsemen which just killed me. Needless to say I rage quit! But c'mon! That was emperor level, not deity!

Top Bottom