1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I hate religion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DanaLea, May 8, 2017.

1. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

I need tips about religion.

I asked in a thread last year about this topic for Civ 5 and got some decent tips, but they don't work in civ6.

I'm Australia and India is shooting for a religious victory, and most of my cities were his religion. In fact, the only city that was mine was my holy city. So I spent quite a bit a time churning out diggers to surround each of my cities, then converted them all to my religion. Now several turns have passed, and half the cities aren't Butterflyism anymore. Most are back to being India's, with a could others other religions.

How can I prevent their stupid missionaries and apostles from converting my cities?

BTW, I'm allied with every civ save America.

2. Ravellion

Ravellion Prince

This should be in the Civ 6 section, but the most important tip is not to use missionaries to reconvert your cities. The best way is to wage religious combat with your own inquisitors and apostles. If you do that on your own holy sites, you get a strength bonus. Within one tile of your holy sites your apostles and inquisitors can heal, while your opponent's will slowly diminish in strength and die, reducing their religion's influence and gaining it for your own.

3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Get Inquisitors up n running too. Don't use their last charge or apostles, and use both units (often paired up) to attack enemy missionaries and apostles.
    Also don't take the Inquisitors out of your own territory - they're no good outside of it.

4. cakes

cakes Prince

I hate religion because I'm always tempted to go for one then I always get sidetracked from using it properly, especially if I'm going for CV.

bbbt and Victoria like this.
  5. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

I started using the apostles and fought off all the ones coming at me, and eventually got all my cities back to Butterflyism, but it was distracting. I think I'll turn religion victory off next time and just let them do whatever they want. I did win a cultural victory. :)

6. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Not stated anywhere and maybe not true but I read inquisitors get +10 strength when fighting in their home religion's territory

7. Kinestic

Kinestic Chieftain

You dont need to turn of religous victory. Just don't build any holy sites and the AI religons will usually stalemate themselves.

8. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

The problem with that is faith is a neat way to get great people and depending on how you play, other buildings can be bought with faith too.

9. Kinestic

Kinestic Chieftain

Then just pass on the great prophets.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

I just ignore religion. Not worth the trouble.

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Great adjacency for holy sites in conjunction with a VC that needs GP does encourage holy sites and helps with the faith agendas, no religion but high faith can be good for diplomacy ... and also national parks.

And the butterfly religion is called victorious! How dare you!

Orange1861 and nzcamel like this.
  12. isau

isau Deity

Just declare war on anyone who is coming at you with a horde of missionaries or apostles. Touch them with any unit (even a Scout) and they die. This not only destroys them instantly it also cleanses the religion from nearby cities.

Ghandi comes at me every game with his hordes. Every game I reward him with a war dec.

13. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

build apostles, but don't use them up completely. Use all their spreads but 1. when they have only one spread left, they now become jihadis ;). group and horde them together, fight off missionaries and other apostles. heal at holy sites. find out which civ has holy sites and other religion. convert those cities first so they can't produce heretic and heathen units.
    one apostles upgrade has "eliminate other religion in city" save these ones for those citys with holy sites that are pumping out infidels. but be careful and protect these apostles with this valuable promotion, the barbs like to eat them.

14. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

correction....the butterfly is called Lord St. Brendanism ;)

nzcamel likes this.
  15. Victoria

I find your attitude repugnant and hereby denounce you (thinks you are a trouble maker)

nzcamel likes this.
  16. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

I will turn your soils red with blood, burn your cities to the ground, and eat your citizens. All while I remix your music and use your paintings and writings to wipe my ass and my lips.

nzcamel likes this.
  17. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Watch out, people, Victoria has for sure a Debater promotion.

(And butterfly religion is called Elysium, at least when I'm playing Greece, btw)

BTW, on topic, save and specially your debater Apostles for home defense (unless you have Yerevan), and position them strategically so they can come in help when the rival religions send their own apostles.

Rival missionaries can be normally a good way to strenghten your own Religion through your empire.

nzcamel likes this.
  18. Victoria

@Josephias ... how about we joint war against the the 6th version of Brendan (the organ grinder).... we can merge our religions as "the victorious Elysium"

I thought they were the same thing (I think you are a warmonger)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
    nzcamel likes this.
  19. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

you..."remove your troops from my borders at once or else..."
    me..."everybody needs to eat, and you're on the menu."

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Like it, I'll start a council to confirm beliefs. Breindan's quick gaining of Warmongering points eases things a lot too.

nzcamel likes this.