1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

I Hate Scalpers

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 11, 2012.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I don't like being mocked.

2. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

You're not being mocked. You just need to stop expecting everyone to mirror your frustration when you vent here. Not everyone shares your opinions.

3. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I agree.

---

I don't get why people love playing a 500% premium on tickets from someone who managed to buy them early on and doesn't even want to go and just wants to make a profit out of you. So you just end up with rich kids getting the tickets.
    I guess if your desperate to go to any event a "scalper" is a good place to go to get a ticket but think of it like this: if there was no scalping going on there coulda been a ticket for you at a reasonable price and not 500% more!

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

If there was no scalping, there's a good chance there wouldn't be a ticket for you at any price.

5. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

True, but no ticket availiable vs ticket plus 500% premium is the same outcome for most people.

In the future aimee you should try as best as you can to get the ticket as soon as possible. Even if you fail at least you know you tried.

6. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Well it's sort of hard when, basically, the sale is the day after you're moving.

7. madviking

madviking north american scum

Yea, I dunno where you're getting the vibe that I'm mocking you. I've scalped tickets for concerts for money during the summer. It's a good source of income in the madviking household.

8. Atticus

Atticus Chieftain Retired Moderator

Nick Cave played some years ago in Helsinki. His concert was sold up super quick and he was offered to play in Hockey arena. He thought it was not proper place for his music and played in the smaller place where he originally was going to, but two or three different concerts instead. That's something I appreciate.

Personally, I don't want to pay more than 10 euros for one performer. I don't think anyone is worth more. Apparently I don't have personal problems with scalpers then. If people took music more mundanely, nobody would have problems with them.

9. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

aimee I feel your frustration, but I have to side with the scalpers on this one. In my opinion there are definitely more positives than negatives regarding scalpers. Personally, if it weren't for scalpers my father never would have been able to get three tickets to the Fiesta Bowl so we could see Ohio State play Notre Dame.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

If there are scalpers, the price was too low in the first place.

11. Boundless

Boundless Chieftain

This really isn't the case, tons of "normal fans" manage to get the tickets, the scalpers only get a minority of the tickets. You didn't get a ticket because of a variety of reasons, but TOUTING WAS NOT ONE OF THEM! An now, because of touts, even though you didn't manage to get a ticket on time, you can still get one! To me that seems a positive rather than a negative!

They set the price at the highest they think they will still sell out...respect that?

12. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I can't remember the last time I went to a gig that was sold out. Most gigs I've been to in the past 2 years have had maybe 20 or 30 people in the audience.

I think the only time I've ever wanted to see a band but the gig was sold out was when I went to see The Ataris when I was 16, and I got a ticket off a guy outside the venue who had 1 too many for face value. That was a great night.

Also: what azzaman and Zelig said.

13. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Whether or not it sells out depends on the band. I've seen Iron Maiden and Rush on several occasions and each time both bands sold out.

14. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Mise, Which bands are you going to see? Styx? Europe?

15. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Nah, mostly small bands on independent labels. Biggest band I saw in 2011 was The Descendents, which actually might have been sold out come to think of it.

16. Boundless

Boundless Chieftain

Everything else is too mainstream?

17. holy king

holy king Chieftain

i, for one, simply see no incentive to go to big mainstream gigs.
    they're ridiculously overpriced, venues are filled to the brim, you are herded in and out before and immediately after the concert like cattle and beer is expensive and you wont get one since you wont care for standing in that queue.

small gigs on the other hand lack all those characteristics, the toilets, not being overcrowded, can be used for drug consummation like it was intendend by god almighty, you can stay at the venue before and after the concert if you wish so and if the performance is crap you dont feel compelled to listen to it by the ticket price and can go get some more beer.

18. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Mise lost all hipster credibility when i found out 2 albums from The Descendents charted in the top 200.

19. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Yeah, they're pretty mainstream. I saw NOFX a few times, most recently in 2010 (I think?); they're probably the most commercially successful band I've seen on purpose.