1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a love/hate relationship with this game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by stratozyck, Jan 27, 2013.

1. stratozyck

stratozyck Chieftain

I think I am done with Civ 5. I've gotten every victory on Immortal, and a few OCC's as well on Immortal.

But most of the time, when I start an Immortal game, I look at the starting location and go, what? Tundra? Nothing of any significance? Immortal is tough as crap, its like 4x as hard as Emperor. Anytime I get a good start I get three civs DoW on me. I can fight off two but its always that 3rd that does me in.

I paid for this game, and I have a full time job. I don't have all day to get a decent start. Emperor is a joke. Immortal can be so tough that you might as well have the computer quit it for me. They need to add some more options, like Immortal difficulty but a decent location guaranteed. Or maybe Emperor that gets more bonuses with time.

So yeah, I'm tired of starting Immortal games that end up with me being at war with everyone. I am tired of Emperor games that put me to sleep.

I can only play about one full game a week. Its not fun if it usually ends up being either boring or nearly impossible. To quote a famous philosopher, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

2. Cedbird

Cedbird Warlord

Maybe play Multi-player .
    I am pretty comfortable at Emperor . I probally when 80% or more of those games . But i want it to be as real as possible . As far as when the developers give the Ai crazy advantages where you can kiss most Wonders etc good bye not fun to me . So Until I craft my game to be able to compete better on Emperor and above and have a semi-normal game I will keep on playing Emperor . One day soon though I will take up the challenge . Knowing that hey the odds are against you .
    Also maybe try different stuff .Like what I plan to try my next game . Putting as many Civs as I can on the map . Or at least about 15 . I always play with 8 . Should be interesting ha ha ha

3. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

Sometimes games just get old after a while. That happens.

Bear in mind, though, that if you want to continue playing Civ V, you could always use a combination of mods and advanced map settings to make the game more enjoyable. Unless you regularly play multi-player or compete for GotM high scores, the exact ruleset you use should be based entirely on your enjoyment of the game. Try selecting the Legendary Start option from advanced settings. If you know you're going to reroll with a bad start anyway, why not save yourself the bother?

Similarly, there are mods that can be used to make the game smoother or slightly easier without making it a cakewalk. I personally use a mod that removes the AI's free Pottery tech; this puts gaining a pantheon/religion on a much more even footing to start with so that the human player has some chance at a religion even on higher difficulties. Other mods simply alter the aesthetics of the game.

4. stratozyck

stratozyck Chieftain

Hm interesting about the 15 civs. My issue is that there is such a stark contrast between Emperor and Immortal. I can win Emperor at will, and usually by 1700 I have tanks and they have muskets. Contrast this with my last Immortal game where I was invaded by death robots and I had WWI infantry and bombers. Still - I held them off! But, ended up losing narrowly (I was going for cultural and was about 2 policies away) when someone launched a spaceship.

I just wish there were more control over the type of game I want to play. If I wanted to play a OCC cultural type game, I want a city that can produce a lot of wonders. Instead of starting new maps to find the best one, Id like an option to check or something. I work 60 hours a week sometimes and I don't have time to waste on maps that turn out to be far from optimal.

Thanks for the input though, I may try that 15 civ thing.

5. terveurn

terveurn Warlord

Use the civ editor mod.

On turn 1, Give yourself a .50 cal machine gun and a marine as a balance of power.

Makes life and the game a whole lot smoother (and less frustrating)

So when you get overwhelmed by an AI that has like 200+ units by turn 20 you can just mow then down - plus I found that since you military threat level is now huge, most of the time, the AI just leave you alone (you do not even have to go to war).

The problem with having a .50 cal and a marine on turn 1 is as a player, you become somewhat a bully - India does not like you building too close - screw him, Poly does not like your religion - screw him. Barbarian camps - hell, just walk in with a marine and wipe out the camp with no problems (can you say superman).

You get to the point where you pick on the AI just for them DOW just to beat them up just for the fun of it... hey Dido, give me this city or I'll DOW and burn your entire empire down !!

6. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Mods and map settings. Sounds like your complaint is emperor is too easy and immortal too hard. There are fixes, you just need to put forth the effort to do so.

7. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Well, you could try like changing the xml handicap files for Emperor...:mischief:

Like this

8. Mozzington

Mozzington Prince

LoL !!! :lol:

9. Ramenbowl

Ramenbowl Chieftain

The trade-offs for increased difficulty are frustrating, IMO.

Obviously, a more intelligent AI would be preferable; but the challenge meaning I need to constantly overcome ridiculous odds does make it silly.

I can beat Immortal occasionally, but encountering 3 x civs DoW on me early is a common theme.

2 city-states become allies = DoW

From Friendly to Hostile in 1 turn, Friendship to Denounced.. zzzz.

10. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

What are you guys doing to get triple-DoW'd? Forward settling too much, maybe? I literally don't think I've ever gotten triple-DoW'd (at the same time) in 550+ hours of play, and I can reliably beat Immortal.

11. Sublime82

Sublime82 Chieftain

If you're getting fed up with getting stuck with poor starting locations and being forced to restart, try Reseed.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80930224

It allows you to quickly reset the map in seconds until you get a location you like. If you are having problems with multiple DOWs, you are probably spawning too close to other civs, thereby causing them to covet your lands, women, children, ect... With this you can glance at the map and make sure other civs are placed far enough away.

12. Sidor1982

Sidor1982 Warlord

You have all kinds of options to make the game more interesting. If You don't like tundra start don't settle the initial settler just go to options and take restart. It will keep the settings but reroll the map but You can do it only on first turn. Don't take Russia (tundra starting bias), choose legendary start or strategic balance on resources, change the climate for warm etc. You can also choose from variety of mods, unofficial mod for example, that changes basically all aspects of the game and makes it practically a new game. And remember that for example going OCC cultural on Immortal is really difficult on the newest patch so don't be suprised if You loose (being 2 policies away from victory is not close, it's around 40 turns behind the AI lauching spaceship, as You need to adopt the two policies and build the Utopia)

13. SouljahAtWar

SouljahAtWar Wasteland Souljah

This. I haven't played a game in a week because I kept getting spawned in the freaking tundra. Screw you, RMG!

I ragequitted the last game because I expanded to the point of 10 :c5angry:, and haven't played a game since.

14. Mystz0r

Mystz0r Chieftain

I usually reroll instantly if I see tundra anywhere near me early. It's a bad habit that I want to break - I want to be able to beat tundra, as well as all other terrain types, but I agree with you - it just gets uninteresting.

I disagre with your point about Immortal being unbeatably hard. I have no problems beating even 3 DoWs (and I don't think I've ever experienced more in the early going), and tbh all that takes, is practise. I, like you, have limited playing time - 2-3 hours twice or thrice per week.

You could spice it up with Deity OCC's. Those are quite fun - and very achieveable :).

15. civvver

civvver Deity

My love/hate relationship is quite different. I love playing, always like starting games, but near the industrial era every game begins to look exactly the same. I think it's the tech tree not having enough beeline paths.

16. Sublime82

Sublime82 Chieftain

I would literally spend hours restarting until I found a start location I was satisfied with. Not fun at all. Maybe I am just too picky, but I like a good location with ample room for expansion that is also aesthetically pleasing. Reseed makes it much more tolerable.

17. Ramenbowl

Ramenbowl Chieftain

Aggressive China, Byzantine and Caeser DoW'ed me last game;

China was some distance to my west, Byzantine - NorthEast & Caeser NorthWest.
    I obtain 3 Allied City States and within 5 turns, China declares war on me and the rest follow suit....

Early game'ish too. Barely had my second city up.
    Byzantine were fine to deal with; they had a 2 tile choke-point connecting our land masses and thus I was able to fortified units + archers there to block it off.

China + Caeser..well, fortunately my City State Allies sent an army and China ended up targeting the City-State instead of me :)

18. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

"They believe you are settling new cities too aggressively"

Apparently on Continents, 4 cities is just too many for Immortal AIs.:(

19. bc1

bc1

On immortal & deity it's best to attack the AI early & steal everything you can, don't wait for the dow. The main weakness of the AI is that it sucks at warfare, so hit where it hurts

20. SouljahAtWar

SouljahAtWar Wasteland Souljah

I'd flip them the high bird and keep expanding, just to spite them. ;)