1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a Problem

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by ls612, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I love this mod, but I have a problem. I am getting MAFs on a Large Map on low settings. This is odd though as my PC meets the recommended specs SO posted, and it is happening after only 15ish turns on Snail:eek:.

I am using 15.1 with Koshlings aug. 20 patch. If he or anyone else can help me I will much appreciate it.

PS. I can post Savegames and/or autologs if needed.

2. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

I think it could help if you posted your computer specs including OS. There is a lot about MAFs in Civ IV in general, especially if you aren't on Win7 64bit.

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

There is one fix I keep forgetting about and that is setting the priority to "programs" rather than "system". This was recently discussed on one of the other threads. On your computer it is in the same place that you set up your memory management.

4. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yeh, this is your best bet. If you still have mags after that there's probably not much you can do but reduce map size. I plan to do some more work on memory footprint, but if you have the aug 20th update thats already a fair bit smaller than previous. I should get back to memory reduction work in about a weeks time.

5. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I'm using Windows Vista 32 bit, with 3 Gigs of RAM, intel Core Duo proc., And an ATI 256 MB video card (forget model number atm). I also checked the memory footprint and it's only about 800 MB, which makes no sense as the 32 bit OS shouldn't throw MAFs until 3 GB.:confused:

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Well, vista is a dog and takes about a gig or so itself. What page file size are you using? Also there are mafs from vides memory, and mafs from regular app memory allocation. It could be video memory you are having issues with. What res are you running? Full screen or windowed?

7. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I know a little bit about computers and have reduced optimized RAM usage to about 750 Megs. You may be on to something about the graphics memory though, as the error specified graphics allocation errors. Any way to fix this?

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Not sure really (apart from a video card upgrade). The obvious thing to try would be to run civ in a lower res (than your native windows screen res, so by implication also not full screen)

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

What is your Paging File size set to? It should be at least 2048M especially since you have 3GB of ram. You could even try 3072M. And Do Not let Windows manage your memory, use Best performance or Custom. Also as posted above set for Programs vs system.

Does your ATI card have Shader 2 tech? Should have if you've played earlier versions of this mod or RoM or AND Mods.

How many AI did you set up at Game start? This can be a factor too. Too many AI causes heavy ram usage. Large map should use no more than 7-10 AI, without using BarbCiv or Barb World. If you use either reduce the starting AI by at least 2. Also instead of low graphics try Medium. Also disable Wonder Movies.

Hope something here helps. :)

JosEPh

10. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

That doesn't make sense though, as versions 10 thru 14 worked perfectly until Industrial, when I had to start clearing the cache. I thought SO had made v15 smaller.:confused:

Joseph: I don't know what you mean, the page file thing in task manager says xxxx/6541 Megs. See above for previous C2C usage. Why would medium graphics be better than low though?

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yeh, should be smaller, and based on what you said earlier about the footprint you are seeing in task manager it doesn't sound like it's take an unexpected amount on your system. If it's video memory though, have you tried disabling aero in vista?

12. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Uh, what's aero? *looks embarassed at noobdom*

13. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

It's the 3d skin that vista and windows 7 use that gives you things like the translucent windows and hover images from the task bar. It can be turned off somewhere in the control panel. It uses a fair amount of graphic resource so tha might help you.

14. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Well, I read the changelog for v16, and I noticed a reduced memory mode from Koshling. What is this, and will it help me? Also, are there any other v16 changes that reduce graphics?

Thanks for all your support.

15. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

That change was to reduce app memory usage for the mod load (its about a 150M reduction), not graphics memory. It was in the AUg 20th patch though, so if you had that you already have it.