I have found the Best Cities

Thor Macklin

Warlord
After going through game after game, I think I have found the best cities of the game. This takes into account resource spawns and long-term use rather then historical importance. I'd like this to be reviewed to get some feedback. All in all if it is your goal to conquer the whole of the world THESE are the cities to have. (I think florence might be better then rome but burning down the apostolic palace seems fairly stupid)

(BTW Is there anyone who has an actual city in that open central african tile?)

What about balkans? There are empty place. City in 64'44 seems to be not perfect, but there is two food resources (sheeps, clams), hills and some coast. We can always put "Rome" (Arretium? - 60'45) to 59'45, when "Rome" gets wine and sheeps but loosing pigs, and our "Balkan city" gets more place then. But do we realy need a city there?

Another empty space - The Iceland. On 46'63 I often found a city. River, deer, fish, some hills... with a Dutch Dike is a good location :)

The tile 1 north of Frankfurt is better that Frankfurt itself. You gain 3 workable tile (instead of peaks), which are near a river. (Levee) And you don't loose any resources.

@narvego could you point out those cities in green for me?
But the Balkans tend to cramp themselves abit. 1 S of Budapest location is pretty good but I am not sure if it's better

@merjin: Thanks man! I shall make those changes now

So does anyone know about that city in africa? Right in the middle. I can't find anyone who owns it. It's a pretty good city (provided you have a forest preserve wonder) and it's a shame I can't take advantage of it

Looks good, but I have to disagree with Maghreb(north west Africa). Building a city on the sheep is a bad idea. You can easily have 3 good cities there, but building on the sheep just kills one. You should either built Algiers (1W, on the hill) who got the best production in the area and Tripoli, who should get the fish and cottage spawn all of it's titles, and get to have the best commerce in the area. The other option is Tunis/Carthage who got a decent production and a decent commerce and Oran, who got a decent production... I obviously suggest the first option.
Finally, Casablanca is a very good city, but if you want it to have a little more production, build Rabat(1E, on the elephant). It lost a lot of commerce overwhere and is a very bad idea if you have Oran.

Umm..that city isn't on the sheep...last I checked anyway. Could've misplaced it.

And ah yes casablanca! With my map it is an even better city XD

Tunis is okay just...really lacking production

It's not a true min-maxer's map but it's decent.
I actually never build Hippo... I build Qart Hadasht (aka Carthage) and Iol just east of the mountain peak. These two offer good production and outshine Hippo, while the Maghreb tile isn't up to par - these resources around it can convince you that it is a decent city, but it actually isn't since it can't grow well, pretty much a waste.
Coastal cities are better than inland cities period, take a look at them and if they can be moved to a coastal tile and still reach resources and stuff then they are heaps better.

Hmm I see. Honestly just move the clam of Sardinia 1S and it should be a functioning city.

So any other suggestions? And as always is there actually a name for that central africa city? XD

Your city in central Canada can't be built. It's on a marsh tile. Personally, I like the city site 2 tiles SE of that, on the west end of Lake Superior.

South America minus jungle has awesome city location choices, which I'm not sure you've fully explored.

The ones with the least marsh tiles. But there are certainly more good cities in South America than on your map.

Please feel free to add them. Alot of this DOES take into consideration jungle tiles.

In other news I heard london is a bad city spot, how so?

It forces you to spend an extra turn getting Settlers out when your ships round out the Channel.
I always build Southampton on the Cow because of that reason.

Then keep your ships right between the Plymouth and Irish watertile. It's what I do.

BTW...city in central africa..or does rhye just have it there so Japan can have ALL of africa. He likes giving ahistorical cities to japan.

i think either france or germany has a city in central africa, right by that lake. i forget which, exactly, because i haven't played in awhile.

Top Bottom