1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I have no idea what I'm doing. Unique unit?

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Ghiaman1334, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Ghiaman1334

Ghiaman1334 Chieftain

So I'm new to the modding scene. I've never done any kind of programming, coding, code editing or anything of the like in my life. But I decided to throw my hat in the ring and try for making a basic mod using the ModBuddy in the Development tools.
    I'm following the guides I can find and using my intuition, whilst trying not to modify too much from the original standard 'feline' template.
    This template doesn't have a unique unit, however, and seeing as this seems like a no-brainer, this is the one thing I've attempted to do.
    I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Anyone able to help?
    I only realised just now that this is why the mod won't work or show up at all - the code's not complete as this bit means literally nothing to it and does nothing and probably isn't even closed off with the whole </___> thing.

2. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

In your GameDefines:
    Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- LeaderTraits
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
    INSERT INTO LeaderTraits  
            (LeaderType,            TraitType)
    VALUES    ('LEADER_CATLADY',    'TRAIT_LEADER_CATLADY_UNIT_CAT');

--==========================================================================================================================
    -- Unit Cat
    --==========================================================================================================================

-- Types
    INSERT INTO Types  
            (Type,                        Kind)
    VALUES    ('UNIT_CAT',            'KIND_UNIT');

-- Units
    INSERT INTO Units
            (UnitType,                    Name,                         Description,                     TraitType,                                Combat, BaseMoves, Cost, AdvisorType, BaseSightRange, ZoneOfControl, Domain, FormationClass, PurchaseYield, PromotionClass, Maintenance, MandatoryObsoleteTech, PrereqTech)
    SELECT     'UNIT_CAT',                'LOC_UNIT_CAT_NAME',    'LOC_UNIT_CAT_DESCRIPTION',    'TRAIT_LEADER_CATLADY_UNIT_CAT',    Combat,    BaseMoves, Cost, AdvisorType, BaseSightRange, ZoneOfControl, Domain, FormationClass, PurchaseYield, PromotionClass, Maintenance , MandatoryObsoleteTech, PrereqTech
    FROM Units WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_CATAPULT';

-- UnitUpgrades
    INSERT INTO UnitUpgrades
            (Unit,                    UpgradeUnit)
    SELECT     'UNIT_CAT',            UpgradeUnit
    FROM UnitUpgrades WHERE Unit = 'UNIT_CATAPULT';

-- UnitAiInfos
    INSERT INTO UnitAiInfos
            (UnitType,                AiType)
    SELECT     'UNIT_CAT',            AiType
    FROM UnitAiInfos WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_CATAPULT';

-- UnitReplaces
    INSERT INTO UnitReplaces
            (CivUniqueUnitType,        ReplacesUnitType)
    VALUES    ('UNIT_CAT',        'UNIT_CATAPULT');

-- TypeTags
    INSERT INTO TypeTags
            (Type,                    Tag)
    SELECT     'UNIT_CAT',            Tag
    FROM TypeTags WHERE Type = 'UNIT_CATAPULT';
    In your Config:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO PlayerItems  
            (CivilizationType,                    LeaderType,                    Type,                                Icon,                                    Name,                                        Description,                                        SortIndex)
    VALUES     ('CIVILIZATION_PERSIA',            'LEADER_CATLADY',        'UNIT_CAT',                      'ICON_UNIT_CAT',                      'LOC_UNIT_CAT_NAME',                    'LOC_UNIT_CAT_DESCRIPTION',                    10);
    In your Text
    Code:
            <!--Unit Cat-->
            <Row Tag="LOC_UNIT_CAT_NAME" Language="en_US">
                <Text>Cat</Text>
            </Row>
            <Row Tag="LOC_UNIT_CAT_DESCRIPTION" Language="en_US">
                <Text>Is usually furry.</Text>
            </Row>
            <Row Tag="LOC_PEDIA_UNITS_PAGE_UNIT_CAT_CHAPTER_HISTORY_PARA_1" Language="en_US">
                <Text>Placeholder</Text>
            </Row>
    This doesn't address art, but that's another issue entirely.

3. Foulweather

Foulweather Chieftain

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but where do you connect a Unit with its UnitAbility?

4. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Since you are starting I recommend you to use this tool to check out the available properties and values.

For instance search for RedCoat, then, when you find what you need, search in untis.xml and unitabilities.xml files of the base game.

That part is the properties but to make it run you will some more, but start with that.