1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I haven't gotten it to work quite yet...

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Tancretus, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Tancretus

Tancretus Chieftain

But has anyone tried building coastal cities all around their island plot to prevent any enemy landings?

I recall at least one Comment was made here in reference to that (although, might be years old and not easy find).

The trouble I'm getting is I'm having to build so many cities I'm getting issues trying get the coast lined up, hold off barbs, keep unhappiness in check (ver0.5), but still have cities in the centers to grow (so I'm not just sitting doing nothing).

The only option I can think from here is grow 1-2 cities to fast-pump settlers & leave the coastal cities defenseless.

2. Proudhon55

Proudhon55 Chieftain

I’ve never attempted this strategy, but the one piece of guidance I’ll give you is that occasionally, enemy civs will unload a military unit directly into an undefended city. (I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen barbs do it, but I know I’ve seen other civs do it.) So leaving the coastal cities defenseless is risky.

The strategy could definitely work though.

3. tupi

tupi Warlord

Barbarians never do it. When they can, they unload troops near defenseless city instead of taking it (or ship may attack - ship checks tiles clockwise starting from the north and if there's a tile with enemy unit before any free land tile, it will attack this tile instead of landing). And if there is no place to unload and nobody to attack, barbarian ship will wait until some unit in a city appears, then it will attack it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  4. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

Well, I never used this strategy but sometimes I use a derived strategy for preventing enemies from landing on my land mass, particularly when they have done several attempts, and we are at peace.
    This strategy consists in placing an unit (preferably a Diplomat because they need no support from home city) in every single coastal square.
    Since we are at peace, they will not attack for some time and this is quite effective for avoiding intrusions on your Mother Land.