I hope the game isn't boring for returning Civfanatics

I'm all for more complexity, and while the game previews do get me excited, I still feel like the game is essentially a reskinned CIV V.

In any case, most of the concepts, combat, and diplomacy look a bit dated for the hardcore players. Even the affinities look a bit similar to one another. I'm concerned that the game will be too easy for those of us that have put in 1000+ hours into CIV, and not thrilling enough.

Maybe that is a good thing, because it enables the designers to really perfect what will be the eventual CIV 6?

Any other concerns?

yes it is civ V in space. it is similar to civ colonization that was similar to civ IV

yes it is civ V in space.

Yes, because making blanket statements about games you haven't played yet is always a good idea.

No, from what I've seen from interviews and release content, it looks to be well complex game, and though out. But I do agree, the diplomacy may be a bit simplistic but I doubt it'll be a repeat of CiV

Yes, because making blanket statements about games you haven't played yet is always a good idea.

No, from what I've seen from interviews and release content, it looks to be well complex game, and though out. But I do agree, the diplomacy may be a bit simplistic but I doubt it'll be a repeat of CiV

Blanket statements can be opinions, prediction or anything like that.

IMO, Affinities, Tech Web and It's SMAC-like setting is what make BE different on CiV. But I really wonder if CivBE is end up being little more than a one big mod. Which Firaxis can rightfully sell for each "download" of it.

Well, I hope CivBE would come up with something innovative. Affinities is, but there should be something more to create a difference.

I think, despite being similar to Civ5, it's not a problem. Apart from the fresh scenario, it has, mechanically, at least as many changes as Brave New World - and Civ expansions in general have been fairly decent at keeping player interest for quite some time.

The reskinned feeling I don't mind.

I just hope the AI and balance is better and that the game gets patched more often to fix these... Maybe I'm dreaming though.

The fact that this game is still 1upt tells me we can still destroy whole AI armies with just a well positioned artillery on a hill.

Tactical AI isn't the only issue. Basic general strategy is more concerning when you can easily get 4 times the tech rate of the AI at difficulty 7 or 8.

And then even tactical AI can have easy improvement. A better balance between melee and range would also be a good start.

I do have a similar feeling. If it's too similar to Civ V, it will go stale too quickly. I hope they manage to make it different enough.

This is a reskinned Civ 5, anybody who pays attention should know it.

But is that a bad thing? No. They tend to do it, it's a spin off, why bother creating a new engine for a game that could fail? (It could you know, this isn't a Civ 6, it's something new)

But they have added new things, the orbital layer, the more advanced complex Tech tree, etc.

Reskinned would suggest near-identical gameplay with different graphics.

That's not what's happening here, IMO. The gameplay similarities are less than there usually is between consecutive versions of Civ.

I´m all for using the good parts from previous games (Civ5).

I just hope they keep on improving, innovating and then steer it in the direction I´d like it to go. :thumbsup:

I have a niggling concern that it'll be too shallow to keep my attention in the long term. I'd love to be proved wrong though and, unless it's universally panned, will be a day 1 purchase anyways :)

Reskinned would suggest near-identical gameplay with different graphics.

That's not what's happening here, IMO. The gameplay similarities are less than there usually is between consecutive versions of Civ.

The previews seem to suggest that the similarities are more than usual (though still significant enough to call it an entirely new game). I think this is partly why there's less speculative discussion in this pre-release period than you'd find with most completely new games - people already know how the game will basically function (e.g. things as basic as how combat functions, even though the units are entirely new), so just have the new systems and details to discuss, rather than the entirety of the game.

Beyond Earth is to Civ V as SMAC was to Civ II. And like SMAC kept a lot of core gameplay mechanics from Civ II so does Beyond Earth keep a lot of core gameplay mechanics from Civ V. But there are more than a few new features and changes from Civ V:

* The load-out of your expedition at the start of the game; which allows you to hand-tailor your starting bonuses.
* Affinities, which appear to be an improved and expanded upon version of Ideologies from BNW.
* The new tech web.
* The staggered arrival of other colony expeditions.
* The unit perks system.
* Scouting and archaeologist units have been combined.
* Satellite layer; which has replaced great people.
* The return of random events from BTS and the introduction of actual quest chains.
* Much more involved victory conditions and said victory conditions being tied into your affinity / ideology.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm all for more complexity, and while the game previews do get me excited, I still feel like the game is essentially a reskinned CIV V.

In any case, most of the concepts, combat, and diplomacy look a bit dated for the hardcore players. Even the affinities look a bit similar to one another. I'm concerned that the game will be too easy for those of us that have put in 1000+ hours into CIV, and not thrilling enough.

Maybe that is a good thing, because it enables the designers to really perfect what will be the eventual CIV 6?

Any other concerns?
I agree wholeheartedly.
The closer we get to release the less I feel inclined to buy it.

If there is absolutely no change in diplomacy for an example from Civ 5, I will simply not buy it at all. Thanks but no thanks. There are other games out there right now that I play that have evolved more, so I expect something new and better.

Top Bottom