I hope this is added

Syntax Error

Prince
Nothing game-breaking, but would probably help with the over all aesthetics of the game:

Do not limit the looks of the "city" to just the starting tile. Extend it to the initial ring at least. This will make the city look a bit more sprawling.

Been holding myself back from researching stuff about BE, so when I get to play it, I play it FRESH. Then after a few games of frustration, I go back here and troll the inevitable Strategies and Tips section to better my play.

Like syntax mentioned, cities already do sprawl into surrounding hexes.

However, it would have been cool to see Civ5 starting "cities" spread out a bit more. I'm no expert, but I think that 4000 years ago people lived in "cities" that sprawled for quite a long way. There might have been a couple buildings in the "center" of the city, but the rest would have been farms, farmhouses, ranches, very basic industry (think granaries/windmills) spread throughout..

Basically, it would have been interesting to see little farmhouses on hexes outside the city's hex and then see them evaporate as the civ gets closer and closer to the industrial era.

That being said, I think that the way cities sprawl in Civ5 is exactly how they should in CivBE. People aren't going to revert into an agricultural society once they touch down (although, maybe this could be a benefit of harmony?).

Build farms if you wanna see farm houses (well.. barns)

Remember that the scale in Civ 5 is horribly inaccurate and will never be "Accurate"

I had an idea similar to this a few months back. I feel that in the early game of BE, each city should take up a single hex that grants very limited production. Once it reaches X number of citizens, it then chooses a new city addition that takes up an adjacent hex. This addition can be something that gives the city military production bonuses, or food bonuses, or money bonuses. Then, each city is specialized, which is something that CIV V really lacked. All the cities are basically the same, with the capital ALWAYS being the best.

Build farms if you wanna see farm houses (well.. barns)

Remember that the scale in Civ 5 is horribly inaccurate and will never be "Accurate"

So that's the reason why I always see the Pyramid and temple of Artemis in the ocean tile. :lol::lol: (I almost post a sarcastic post about why the Pyramid has a flood around it.)

Thanks to clarify this. ;)

New York with Jewish majority religion and stadium on the side. Civilization graphics have become smaller over the years.

Like syntax mentioned, cities already do sprawl into surrounding hexes.

However, it would have been cool to see Civ5 starting "cities" spread out a bit more. I'm no expert, but I think that 4000 years ago people lived in "cities" that sprawled for quite a long way. There might have been a couple buildings in the "center" of the city, but the rest would have been farms, farmhouses, ranches, very basic industry (think granaries/windmills) spread throughout..

Basically, it would have been interesting to see little farmhouses on hexes outside the city's hex and then see them evaporate as the civ gets closer and closer to the industrial era.

That being said, I think that the way cities sprawl in Civ5 is exactly how they should in CivBE. People aren't going to revert into an agricultural society once they touch down (although, maybe this could be a benefit of harmony?).

Actually settlements were more compact as you go back in time. No transportation and City walls limited growth.

City walls could easily have city wall doors to allow exits and entrances..

Assuming you haven't catched Lancor's meaning, he says people lived as much as possible within the walls of their cities for protection. And took up with the extremely high population density that came with it. Of course there were gates and entrances.

That was a long time ago when peace didn't exist.

You mean like yesterday? (you realize there are still wars going on in the world)
Now some areas of the world are at peace, but there have always been some areas that are going through a temporary 'not in war/being raided' period

More realistically, you have farm houses outside the city walls, but those would be on the worked tiles, not part of the city.

And until you got good cannons(ie the vast majority of human history, and at least 1/2 of a civ game), city walls were still worthwhile, and everyone Wanted to live inside them.

During peace, it was safe to build outside the walls.

And that period would not last long... after all, even in the middle of an empire, there would be bandits and raiders.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I wanted to see is that the surrounding tiles get utilized better. if you look at the screenshot above, the surrounding tiles aren't as much "used" as the central tile just spilling over to the surrounding ones. I'm not asking for accuracy, I just want a better sense of scale.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I wanted to see is that the surrounding tiles get utilized better. if you look at the screenshot above, the surrounding tiles aren't as much "used" as the central tile just spilling over to the surrounding ones. I'm not asking for accuracy, I just want a better sense of scale.
But the surrounding tiles are used. They have farms and mines and quarries and whatever else on them. How would what you're suggesting be different?

Top Bottom