1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I just found a very OP way to get ai to hate each other

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by spellsteal, Jul 29, 2013.

1. spellsteal

spellsteal Chieftain

Hi I'm in my diety game right now and I just found something really cool. I'm smack in the middle of 4 civs. Babylon in the north east, Venice it's neighbor in the north west, then me in the very south east with cv in between us, and egypt as my neighbor in the south west.

I sweet talked babylon into dow Venice and I too joined the war. Venice made a city right next to Egypt expo and I took it.

Babylon and Egypt and I are like best friends, but my spy got caught ransacking Egypt secret files and now I'm in trouble as "egypt is plotting against me.

As I am in the middle of a war, I was terrified.so I tried everything to get babylon to dow egypt but to no avail.

Then I did two things.

told egypt to stop spying on me and not to settle near me. This got him mad and he denounced me, which got him a backstabb neg relation hit with all the other ai.

Then I gifted the city I got from venice to Babylon and now all of a sudden, their borders are contesting and immediately war broke out.

2. digrosz

digrosz Dirty Frank

But, in howany games are you gonna find a situation like this?

3. Hyperion529

Hyperion529 Prince

right, this is very situational and does not sound OP to me at all. just a fun way of using diplomacy.

4. Jaaboo

Jaaboo Prince

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how did Venice 'make' a city? Was it just a city state?

5. _invy_

_invy_ Warlord

One thing that is OP is bribing stronger civ to attack weaker in modern era, which is really lame because it costs something like 10 gpt. In some games you can keep AIs in wars whole endgame. On small continents AIs couldn't kill each other and just wasted units and income around while I was slowly winning.

6. Hyperion529

Hyperion529 Prince

in my opinion bribing AIs into wars is just a very interesting game mechanic. everyone can do it (given the bribed AI likes you at least a bit, otherwise they often won't do it or it gets really expensive). i don't see why it should be OP. do you also think growing your cities and building NC early is OP?

7. Smith of Lie

Smith of Lie Chieftain

This one at least made some sense. I was recently witness to example of AI stupidity out of bounds, when it comes to being goaded into the war.

I was trying for peaceful culture VC. Two biggest runner aways were Morocco and Shoshone. I tried my best to get them into a war with each other, so I can continue to spam my tourism production in peace. Both sternly declined. Turn later Ahmad decided to DoW Shoshone. For free. Out of spite apparently...

8. spellsteal

spellsteal Chieftain

Yes I think an NC rush is op. lol.

I tried it again after getting stuck in a tight situation but it didn't work out this time. Personality plus relative army sizes of the ai matters a lot for this to work!

9. Rohili

Rohili King

Do you get a diplo penalty against Civ A if you bribe Civ B into attacking Civ A (while not attacking him yourself)?

10. vale

vale Mathematician

Nope. Which is strange because in Civ IV there was a "you brought in a war ally against us" negative diplomatic modifier that was the result of bribing an ai into war.