1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I just got a Merchant of Venice

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by slowcar, Jul 16, 2013.

1. slowcar

slowcar King

From an allied city state (full patronage tree). :scan:

Unfortunately i am trying a diplomacy win so i won't buy a city state with it.

2. Snes

Snes Warlord

So use it to establish a trade mission. I think the MoV's trade missions are even bigger than the regular missions done by GM's.

3. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Fortunately you're still going to get double gold/influence from his trade mission. In fact, I typically only puppet 1-2 CS's as Venice (unless I really need more due to little enemy civ presence or need a foothold on another continent/island) and conquer the rest from other civs.

4. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I got one from a City-State too. Used it for a trade mission as well. I should've checked how the ability works though - I had actual Venice next to me eliminated because I was afraid that the Merchants could take over my CS allies (can they?)

5. Paradigne

Paradigne Emperor

Yes they can

6. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Oww... I would be fine if that ability required them to be the allies of the CS, or at least to CS not to have an ally at all. But I guess this is not the place to rant about this.

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Yes, they have a promotion that increases influence and gold from trade missions by 100%. Instant ally :D.

8. Teholb

Teholb Warlord

It's painful when Venice swoops in and steals a 150+ Influence CS from you without so much as a "sorry." I want to play Venice now :D

9. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Like I said I conquered Venice precisely to prevent them from snatching my CS pals. Was warmonger for the rest of the game, but I guess it was worth it.