1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I just lost...

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by guczy, Oct 24, 2014.

1. guczy

guczy Warlord

...and I have no idea how. Soyuz difficulty, epic speed, turn 353. The ending screen just came up, cant even click "One...more...turn" which pisses me off even more, as I cant even find out how the heck that happened. In BNW turn 353 win (epic speed) for AI would be completely impossible even on Deity, not even close. And of course it is not a big issue that I lose my first game, but at least I want to know how the **** and why the ****. Anyone have any ideas what happened? Here is a pic of the "you lost" screen:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=331283395

2. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Reload your last autosave and see what was most likely.

3. guczy

guczy Warlord

Thats what I did, but nothing is likely. Cant be any of the affinity victories, as no one has 13 of anything, cant be domination, so I guess it could be contact. I have no idea how that works, but I can sure as hell tell you that there was no forewarning.

edit: also what pisses me off the most is why I cant press "Just...one...more...turn"

4. Rebun

Rebun Chieftain

The same thing happened to me, turn 269 on standard speed, Vostok difficulty and the ending screen just came up, i had no inclination that the end of the game was coming up :undecide:

There is a way to check what victory condition they won, you can go into the Hall of Fame under 'Other' in the main menu and check the win condition of that session there. I hope they change this though, and give us some warning like they did in Civ 5.

5. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

If there's no endgame explanation of who won/lost, how and by how much, then they do need to add such a summary screen.

6. Rebun

Rebun Chieftain

Definitely, and while there at it bring back the old demographics screen :D

7. guczy

guczy Warlord

Was it contact victory aswell for you? Cause if the AI can win (even on Vostok) this quickly with it then it might be too easy

8. Tinker

Tinker Prince

It's pretty ridiculous that you have no way of seeing this, or a map screen or graphs available like in Civ 5. Why take that out?

9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Who won? That's always shown in notifications..

10. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Yes, but that pops up at the same time as the "you lost" screen, blurring it. You have to look in the bottom right for a blurry pop-up that disappears to see who won, but you still don't have any idea how.

11. guczy

guczy Warlord

Yeah, why did they think that demographics and victory progress screens are obsolete?

12. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

AI seems to be friendly with contact victory in my games, they use to build its wonder quickly.

13. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

You can still see these, but you have to do it with the replay-option from the main menu, after leaving the game.

Why? Don't know. Was probably the same developer who decided that all dialog buttons need to swap positions and every general button has to be placed where you're least likely to find it.

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I too miss demographics, but you can see victory progress as a percentage in the quest screen. In my first game Samatar had 75% towards Promised Land. He built his gate about ten turns after I built mine.

15. Promethian

Promethian Warlord

Contact has an RNG component that can get you basically halfway there and skip a needed outer ring tech. This is what pushing the computer players to victory so fast. It is supposed to be a rare outcome from exploring a Progenitor Ruin. The notification that they have built the beacon is little different from any other wonder notification which is just another problem to add to the heap.

16. Sarke1

Sarke1 Chieftain

Was there actually multiple people close to winning different victories when you looked at the quest log? It should show roughly everyone's progress towards every kind of victory there.

17. Khaim

Khaim Prince

For the same reason they think monochrome icons and no strategic view are a good idea: they don't actually ever play their own games, so they don't notice how bloody awful things are.

Other game developers sometimes talk about "quality of life" improvements. Minor features that don't really affect the core game, but remove little annoyances and make things more usable - or just slightly more fun. Firaxis is not only failing to add these features, they're actively removing them.

18. Teproc

Teproc King

Victory progress is still there. No demographics screen is probably to make the info part of espionage more relevant.