1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I just played a rather odd map.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Gus_Smedstad, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Gus_Smedstad

Gus_Smedstad Warlord

I was going to title this thread "look Ma, no city states." Because I was on a large continent with no one but Egypt. I mean no one, not a single city state. The other civs were shoehorned into a couple of near-islands, and there was one (1) city state on the entire map. I carefully looked over the foreign cities when I found them, and none of them were conquered city states.

I really thought the map generator had suffered some sort of complete failure, leaving them out. It takes a surprising amount out of the game, when they're absent.

2. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Map size and type?

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Might not be enough viable city starting spots for them. Still very unusual. Even the less ideal map types can find a suitable starting location for city states.

4. Gus_Smedstad

Gus_Smedstad Warlord

This was Standard Size / Continents. Which is pretty much all I ever play, actually. I'm not fond of the oddball map types, and there's a lot less variety in the "not weird" map generators than in Civ 4 or 5.

I'd say there were plenty of viable city sites. The continent I shared with Egypt was quite large, and had all the usual rivers and food resources.

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Agreed, I have had a few odball maps including me on a whole continent by myself just with nan modal

6. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Actually had something like this too, though with six of the twelve civs not spawning. I know mods that alter map generation can cause it, wasn't aware it happened in the base game too. Are you using a map generation mod?

7. DiffSarit

DiffSarit Chieftain

Maybe they are all in another continent (separate by ocean).

In my recent game (either Fractal or Shuffle/Standard size), only a few CSs are in the main continents that every civ are located. The rest of them are all gathering in another continent that was joint to the main landmass by a narrow land bridge.

In a Continent map type, I could imagine that it was totally separated by ocean tiles and with some weird luck, every CS is in that continent.

8. Gus_Smedstad

Gus_Smedstad Warlord

No, no map generation mods. I'm playing with Better Trade Screens and Unit Report, but that's it.

This particular map was:

1. Very large continent, Egypt and myself (as Arabia). Many, many suitable sites.
    2. One fair-sized continent with Rome and Kongo.
    3. One medium island with a city state. Far south, so the southern half was snow (not tundra) and unsuitable for cities.
    4. One rather small, strung out island with Russia.

I don't see any way of extracting the map seed from an existing game, and I never bother making note of it when starting a game.

9. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

just from a file I save useful snippets from this forum:

"""It is actually very easy to extract the game/map seeds.
    1) go to the folder where your game is saved. Documents\My Games\Sid Meier'sCivilization IV\Saves\single
    2) copy the saved game you need and paste it into the Saves_Multi folder.
    3) create a multi player game using the saved file, and it will show all the information.

PS: in order for the game/map seed to work, you need to adjust all the settings according to the original setup. map size, world age, number of players/citystates, resources etc....however, you can change the diffculty level freely without interrupting the map."""

Probably with this information you can provide all necessary to recreate that map.

Wizard-Bob likes this.