I just realized this.

Double A

♫We got the guillotine♫
A section called Off Topic is apparently on topic enough to warrant posts counting towards a user's post count, but forum games (and coincidentally, Civ is a game) aren't on topic enough.

The reason I bring this up is because people have to go out of their way to be able to PM, which is an integral part of a large part of forum games.

The reason Forum Games doesn't count for postcount is because the powers that be don't want people playing forum games like Word Association to try to boost their postcount.

And posting in OT or Civ V to boost postcount is better how?

It's unambigiously not spam. Topics on Civ 5 and in OT are dicussion topics, unlike forum games.

Yes, despite the name, the two OT forums are the most heavily moderated forum here, with 11 active mods.

So you're saying Civ 5 and OT aren't wretched hives of spam and villainy?

Okaaaaaay, I'm gonna go now.

This site is about the Civ series. Obviously the Civ forums are going to be treated more favourably than the non-Civ forums. The Civ5 forums are not to any extent a 'wretched hive of spam and villainy'. Your argument would be better served if you just compared to other non-Civ forums. "Why does OT have PC whilst Forum Games does not?" is a much more intriguing question than "Why do the Civ5 forums have PC whilst Forum Games does not?"

This site is about the Civ series. Obviously the Civ forums are going to be treated more favourably than the non-Civ forums. The Civ5 forums are not to any extent a 'wretched hive of spam and villainy'. Your argument would be better served if you just compared to other non-Civ forums. "Why does OT have PC whilst Forum Games does not?" is a much more intriguing question than "Why do the Civ5 forums have PC whilst Forum Games does not?"

Yes, but my argument is significantly less funny that way. Now that you're here, I'll actually be serious about this again, though.

You've played a lot of mafia, so surely you must see where I'm coming from. Furthermore, as I mentioned before, Civ is a game, and forum games are games. Despite this being a site specifically for Civ, that doesn't mean other games technically supported by the forum should be treated with no regard whatsoever.

Would it be possible for only the first 30 or 50 posts (depending on how many someone needs for stuff) to count in Forum Games subfora?

Despite this being a site specifically for Civ, that doesn't mean other games technically supported by the forum should be treated with no regard whatsoever.
That's why posts counts in All Other Games. Forum games aren't in the same catigory though, and they aren't discussions.

Would it be possible for only the first 30 or 50 posts (depending on how many someone needs for stuff) to count in Forum Games subfora?
Not without additional scripts. And those are a pain because they have to be updated when the base software is updated. So CFC avoids them.

There are discussions in the games. Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. This kind of thing doesn't happen on any other forum I know of, probably because of how trivial a thing post count is. If someone wants to spam posts in meaningless games, that's their problem, but I'm tired of people having to jump through a loophole to be able to partake fully in games.

Some games may be suitable for postcount, but not all games that are allowed.

Postcount matters to some of the top postcount posters here, and isn't trivial to them. There's enough of them that it's worth keeping the current system that encourages constructive posts.

The workaround to enabling pm's aren't loopholes so much as limitations of the software. Ideally we'd just block advertisers and bots from joining the forum, and not have PM and other restrictions.

Mafia and IOT have their own subforums in a subforum where posts contribute to post count, and judging by the precedent set by NESes, games people put effort into can and should add to a users' postcount. It's not like I'm asking for Forum Games, which is an entirely different subforum where stuff mostly requires no time input (or private messaging), to count towards post count.

The Civ5 forums are not to any extent a 'wretched hive of spam and villainy'.

Heh.

Mafia and IOT have their own subforums in a subforum where posts contribute to post count, and judging by the precedent set by NESes, games people put effort into can and should add to a users' postcount. It's not like I'm asking for Forum Games, which is an entirely different subforum where stuff mostly requires no time input (or private messaging), to count towards post count.

Basically comes down to if NES has post counts, why doesn't IOT and Mafia? The only real reasons I can think of is because these boards are relatively new and they were split off from Forum Games.

I can't speak for IOTs, but Mafia games tend to be very spammy in between votes. Having PC means clamping down on that. I never thought that would be a worthwhile trade.

What's the problem with spam if everyone involved is having fun, it's not pissing anyone off, and it's not just posting for the point of posting?

Why not turn off PC entirely?

Top Bottom