I just ruined someone's Civ 4 experience~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jecrell

Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5
I had the game for a while now. I think I've been playing it three days straight -- almsot non-stop with little sleep. Mostly I've been playing single-player and some failed multiplayer experiments with some friends of mine. Most of which kept messing up by alt+tabbing and getting dropped from the game (running the game on medium or low usually stops the alt+tab crashes).

Anyway, this morning I was up for a game and hanging in the Civ IV chatroom when someone asks "Anyone up for a 1v1?" I said, "sure," and shortly we were in a duel match, which, at that time, I did not know was a battle.

It didn't take long for war to start. It began at about the time my second city was built. As the Incans, I took advantage of my tropical forests by using the woodsman promotion on my Quechau to make a standoff just outside my city with his archers. Literally sentrying it near my city which was near his borders. Then shortly he dropped his scout next to my city and fortified it to prevent me from moving troops in and out of the city.

Now our little standoff went on for a while until I unleashed my chariots of doom! I was able to attack with three chariots -- one to kill his scout, two to kill his second archer. One got out alive and strolled neatly into his borders -- destroying a city and offing his warrior that he used to protect his city.

At this point, he got really -- really -- pissed. He told me that I had the only horse resource on the map (I couldn't verify this -- I had no scout to begin with). Then when I told him he should probably declare peace or I would destroy him (since I didn't know this was a "War Duel" for "ladder games").

So we had a ceasefire. However, during this he revealed he had only played Civ IV for like 2-3 hours. He put up a really good strategy for assaulting my borders non-the-less, but he got really -- really -- pissed because I had the only horses on the map. He literally declared himself done with the game and quit -- saying that horses were way overpowered and that he was going to have a talk with the designers of the game about it. To which I argued that spearman could probably take down my horses.

... But it was too late. And he was gone.

This is the first game I regret winning.

Don't feel guilty - you played someone who's response to their plans being more difficult was whining, self-pity and righteous indignation.

Like the marines, adapt and overcome.

God, some of the kids that play that game are so immature. It annoys me a LOT when someone quits just because things don't go exactly their way.
Civ4's online features have helped this out a little, but it's still bad.

And there is this new fad where little pricks join your game, start a war, and leave. *sighs* Get a life...

geez, what a quitter. just because his perfect plan doesnt work doesnt mean that the world came crashing down and fate hates him.

I've played SOO many games without iron and won. Sheesh, that kid IS a whiner.

Bolgard said:
Don't feel guilty - you played someone who's response to their plans being more difficult was whining, self-pity and righteous indignation.

It's sad really. He put up a very -- VERY -- good fight before it was over.
And...
Yes sir, yes sir!

Pffft

Try playing Battle for Middle Earth if you want a game that is whack out of balance. The new patch is coming soon for us longtime players but it's been at least 6 months of terribly balanced gameplay.

So far Civ 4 appears very balanced.

Sheesh, the kid should have learned that you need to DIVERSIFY with your units, a few spearmen, a few archers, My first game i DOMINATED without horses OR copper OR iron

GreenMonkey said:
Pffft

Try playing Battle for Middle Earth if you want a game that is whack out of balance. The new patch is coming soon for us longtime players but it's been at least 6 months of terribly balanced gameplay.

So far Civ 4 appears very balanced.

Seriously, EA's customer support is inifinitely worse than Take2's.

But I've been a reporter writing articles for BfME 2 for a site that is heavily involved with the next patch (with EA) and I think that that is EA's chance to redeem themselves.

Bolgard said:

Erk! Your US marines are Borg?

I did wonder actually. I met one in this bar in Leeds. I offered him some crisps to go with his nutrient feed but he seemed to just ignore me. Just kept on scanning EVERYTHING with this light pen attached to his head.

Anyway, can't wait to get this game! Just have to wait until Friday. *Sigh* Stupid UK release date!

You should have told that lad to go and watch Henry V (Brannagh or Olivier, but Brannagh is better - it has Brian Blessed), and see how he dealt with cavalry when he had one. Arrow storm! Pikes! Spearmen!

Don't bother to much some poeple can't just live with the idea they have lost a game, and i think that they shouldn't play multi-player then.

anjf said:
Don't bother to much some poeple can't just live with the idea they have lost a game, and i think that they shouldn't play multi-player then.

Don't bother about the fact he probably went on to slit his wrists is what you're saying :lol:

:lol: Man that kid sucks!

Jeez, he needs to suck it up. Who on earth tries to play MP with only 2-3 hours of experience? I played Age of Mythology for close to a year without touching MP...

I feel slightly bad for him, but its overcast by my pity for you. Having to play with such a noob must've sucked.

Good game.

Unscratchedfoot continuously bumps extremely old topics, and it's gotten on everyone's nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom