1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I just tried to buy BTS online.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Trapper439, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Trapper439

Trapper439 Chieftain

Sorry if this contravenes the forum rules in any way, but I just tried to buy Beyond the Sword online from a well known site that starts with S and rhymes with "Team".

And I got this error message: "Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again."

I own a copy of (vanilla) Civ 4. Are these *******s trying to fleece me by making me buy it again? What other options do I have for buying BTS?

2. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Stores.
    Steam.

3. juanbobo

juanbobo Warlord

Do you own a copy of Civ 4 on Steam though?

4. juanbobo

juanbobo Warlord

Unfortunately you need the Steam version of vanilla to buy BTS. I imagine Civ 4 complete which comes with vanilla and BTS will be available during the holiday Steam sales for around $6-7 as it was last year.

5. Trapper439

Trapper439 Chieftain

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Thanks for that especially, juanbobo. After spending a couple of hours dealing with needlessly difficult login issues, etc, I'm not really sure if I want to give those ****s a single dime of my money, though.

I first encountered Steam when I bought a Total War game and it installed Steam on my PC without my consent. Now that I've tried to actually use Steam I like it even less than I did then. If this is the future of gaming then count me out.

I think I'll just stick with vanilla Civ4. I hear BTS is pretty good, but Steam can go **** themselves. Sorry if I sound aggravated, it's only because I really am aggravated.

6. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Steam sucks. So does Black Ops. They go hand in hand. Why do you think I still play this and CoD4? :p

7. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

If you want to buy BTS online, check Amazon, Ebay and similar outlets for a disk version. They usually have it at a decent price. Once the disk arrives, it will be happy to install with the disk version of CIV vanilla that you already have. (Or sometimes the CIV Complete package is a real good deal and will include the disks for CIV, Warlords, BTS and Colonization (or whatever that stand alone one is called).)

FWIW, I agree that Steam = :thumbsdown: :evil:

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Buying a digital copy of BTS from good sites like Gamersgate or D2D will work with a disk copy of Civ IV. It's actually what I use.

BTS is not just good, it IS the way you should be playing Civ IV. Plus, you will be able to use the great mods that enhance the game.

9. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Perhaps Steam would be satisfied if you added your existing copy of Civ4 to your Steam. (Steam=>Games=>Add a non-steam game to my library.)

10. juanbobo

juanbobo Warlord

11. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

Nah I think Steam is too greedy to allow that. :lol:

At worst Steam is a necessary evil, but it does everything possible to help you forgive it. ;)
    Some wonderful downloadable games are available through the service.
    Spoiler :
    Terraria
    Jamestown

12. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Adding your CIV vanilla to your Steam account would not solve the problem, even if they permit it, because the Steam versions have all been modified to store their files in a non-standard location. This prevents them from finding versions stored in the standard locations, and visa versa.

13. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

When I had to reformat recently and reinstall everything, I just installed BTS without vanilla or Warlords. I am using steam so it's odd that it's not working for you.

14. juanbobo

juanbobo Warlord

Yes, but you own Civ 4 on Steam?

15. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Did you ever stop to consider that the message was to protect you from buying a game from them that would not work because it requires their version of Civ4 vanilla to play? I do not think STEAM knows that you own vanilla? As I have read here, buying a STEAM version of bts will not work with your copy of vanilla, so they saved you money and heartache?

While I am not a big fan of STEAM, the negativity towards them for reasons such as this are unfounded and need correction. Do not understand the need to enjoy savaging something without understanding what is behind it.

And please watch your language in your future posting.

16. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

:goodjob: Leif....said much better what I had hoped to say

I have quite a few games on Steam, and while not a big fan either, the service gets way too much unfounded flak around here.

17. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

It's not Steam I hate, it's the games that it comes with (Black Ops, (IIRC) Civ5, etc). Personally I prefer XFire, but that is just me.

18. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

Steam is motivated by profits, like every other business ever. If they selected games to offer based on their own personal prejudices, they would be unable to compete. What you will find on the shelf wherever you purchase your games, is exactly what you will find on Steam.

19. Kilroy Was Here

Kilroy Was Here Chieftain

I bought the Complete Edition on Steam a year ago. My first Steam game was Half-Life 2, back in 2009. I haven't looked back since. Steam is probably one of the best things to happen to gaming since 2004.

20. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

i have several games on steam, so its OK, if you buy games there... but they ask for a savaging when I buy Civ V off the shelf and then register it with them to find it then wants to completely reinstall it... using up all of what I had left in my monthly download allowance, then the second time i played it they did the same again, with the first patch, a download larger than my disc copy of Civ V. I have spent more on purchasing internet recharge vouchers this year than the $300, i spent on games that had to be registered with them... i understand that the box says requires registration on steam... but it dose not say your copy will be overwritten with steams copy... twice... 10 gigs per game, is alot for wireless remote location internet

they are what they are ... just feel the need to say what they are is all