1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] I just wanna shut Sean Bean up... just him...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dearmad, Feb 24, 2019.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I love his voice. But the quotes are mostly awful. Thanks for the mod recommendation!

2. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I heard a rumor that James Earl Jones will be doing Civ IV nimoy quotes for Civ VII.

3. Arent11

Arent11 King

It's the quotes! Sean Bean is innocent! He didn't come up with the quotes, they forced him to read them :mischief:

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I actually like some of the quotes. Especially the Mark Twain ones. Nothing wrong with a little humor in Civ games.

5. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Checked it now, dang you're right... I might as well try Italian then ... ;)

6. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I like the french guy

Stilgar08 likes this.
  7. FenrisWolf456

FenrisWolf456 Chieftain

A lot of the quotes are pretty poor. I was pretty gob-smacked when my ancient scout discovered Kilimanjaro the first time. I was "what the eff does wi-fi have to do with anything?" ... and then I'm hearing about air conditioning causing the fall of the Roman Empire ...

But lets be fair, Mr. Bean's recitation leaves a lot to be desired for a number of quotes ... from mispronunciations, to wrong emphasis on lines, to awkward pauses. I can get through most of them, but "To urr .. is human" grates.

Myomoto likes this.
  8. Arent11

Arent11 King

If I discover Kilimanjaro I want to hear something grand. I want to hear something philosophical, like 'we do not conquer the mountain, in truth we conquer ourselves'. See? Even I can come up with better quotes in under 5 seconds :D

9. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

First time I've heard someone having this particular pet peeve

Stilgar08 likes this.
  10. Leucarum

Leucarum Prince

Gilbert Gottfried for civ VII.

Crap now I've got his voice telling me about Mt Kilimanjaro's wifi status stuck in my head...

Myomoto and Buthera like this.
  11. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Actually, ur pronounce for err is.one of the few words he gets RIGHT. That is how the word was said until "air" somehow replaced it.

Sort of like "fort" is how you say the thing you are strong at, not "for tay " which is to make things louder.

But.no his accent and prosody drive me nuts. Its his voice for me. The quotes themselves are just salt in the wound.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

The horror. The horror.

I will defend Sean Bean to the end. Let's just ignore the Fusion, Kilimanjaro, and Laser quotes.

13. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

Honestly it's the craftsmanship quote that gets me. "Skill without imagination is craftsmanship." Like, really? The first craftsmen just emerged in my first city and you gotta be throwing shade like that? They have brilliant imaginations tyvm, Sean.

Builderphile likes this.
  14. Icicle

Icicle Prince

Proverbium mod.

No more voice, better quotes. The first thing I checked to make sure it worked after GS.

SeelingCat and Myomoto like this.
  15. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

No love for Peter Cullen? How awesome would it be to have Optimus Prime narrating Civ?
    I watched a documentary he narrated once and it was like Optimus Prime was teaching me about dinosaurs!

16. Arent11

Arent11 King

Exactly. It's as if someone wrote the quotes who really had a bad day. You could write something about the first craftsmen of antiquity, how people settled down, how the first houses were build, how they laid the foundation for civilization. No, you have to tell everyone that you're an "artist" and therefore better than the "unimaginative" craftsmen that build the house you live in.

17. Buni0ns

Buni0ns Warlord

Charles Dance gets my vote.

Siptah likes this.
  18. theadder

theadder Prince

They’re terrible. I’ll try the mod.

19. Buni0ns

Buni0ns Warlord

20. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

It is impressive, really, how somehow managed to turn such tiny pety thing into something so widely disliked by us :D