I just want the FORTIFY button on the first unit control panel.

The problem with hitting F is that there isn't definitive feedback on the state of the unit, because the unit visual doesn't always change right away, and F is also the "Wake" command.

For Firaxis to change the hotkeys around for functions that are essentially the same as they've always been is nonsensical. I keep trying to hit "S" to put units on Sentry.

Sure there is -- The unit icon goes from a circle to a shield. [Edit- Dur, didn't read your entire post. Sorry.]

I just, a I said, want the darned button on the front so I don't have to lift my damned lazy hand to press a keyboard key... or close my slack jawed jaw to keep the drool in my mouth.... that's my style of play. OK?

lol.

:D

i dictated how to type this email to my slave-girl, so you'll have no doubts about my lifestyle and why I started this thread.

<the slave girl is lovely, btw>

"yes I AM!"
-slave girl

The problem with hitting F is that there isn't definitive feedback on the state of the unit, because the unit visual doesn't always change right away, and F is also the "Wake" command.

For Firaxis to change the hotkeys around for functions that are essentially the same as they've always been is nonsensical. I keep trying to hit "S" to put units on Sentry.

Also i've noticed that you can hardly ever actually wake a unit, as in pressing wake will not bring up the options of fortify again. I find it very difficult to tell a unit to forify until healed if i've told it to do some other type of sleep.

@OP Alert basically does the same thing, only difference is the unit will ask for orders if there is an enemy nearby.

It is simply poor UI design to require sub-menus in this case. After all, they managed to get all the unit buttons on the screen at once in Civ 4. The Civ 5 interface makes awful use of screen space, in general it is far too chunky. :(

It's because you're not supposed to fortify that frequently. Only specific units in specific situations, its a strategic action instead of a halt. Alert is the general 'have a unit stay put' function.

Anyone else miss having the unit buttons in the bottom center? Having them on the side, especially if you are using a widescreen, gets kind of irritating after a while.

And I miss having to hit spacebar to end a turn.

Top Bottom