1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Civ2] I keep getting page fault errors when building spaceship parts.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by AyasakiHayate, Mar 13, 2018.

1. AyasakiHayate

AyasakiHayate Chieftain

I have the classic version of Civ 2, and the game keeps crashing when I build spaceship parts. Specifically, after the part is built, when it loads the image of the spaceship, as it shows the new part being added.

Text of the error:
    Code:
    CIV2 caused a Page Fault in module <unknown>îBÿl0577:CB40CIV2 will close.
    System is a Pentium II with 64 megs of RAM (formerly 320, but I removed some because the OS only sees 64, thinking the excess memory might be causing some of my woes). Onboard ATI Rage graphics and Crystal Audio.
    OS is MS-DOS 5.00 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

It had been a long time since I played this version of Civ, and then I got today off from work thanks to a blizzard. So my humble Aztec tribe began their journey through time. I destroyed the Celts, conquered the Mongols and had just one city left take take from the Carthaginians. My empire now spanned two continents and I just built the Apollo Program, so I figured, what they heck, I'll start building spaceship parts. Then this! :( Thank goodness this game autosaves!

Things I've tried so far:
    Updating the game to v2.42
    Turning off the system page file
    Removing ram that the OS couldn't use.

Turning off the page file seemed to allow me to build a few spaceship parts, but it eventually crashed with the same error after a few more parts were built.

Any suggestions?

2. AyasakiHayate

AyasakiHayate Chieftain

I ended up figuring it out. Apparently Civ2 does not like true color video modes. I cut back the color depth to 256 colors, and the page faults disappeared. I tried it again at 32k and 65k colors and that also seemed to work.