1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

I keep not getting alerts from subscribed threads

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Angst, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

what's happening mods

unsubbing and resubbing doesn't work either

2. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Do you visit threads after you receive an alert for that thread? If not, you won't receive new alerts. If that's not the problem, check the Alert Preferences on your profile page. Make sure they are set correctly. If neither of those suggestions help, send me the URL of one of your watched threads. Thanks.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I used to have this happen a lot. It's tapered off over the months but there's still one thread where it keeps happening. This Civ3 Succession game is the culprit in my case. I can 'confirm' that it stops pushing through an alert even if you visit the thread after receiving an alert. The alerts start coming through again when you visit the thread again manually (i.e. navigating through the forum itself) after a while.

4. Angst

Is there any possibility changing this system for my account? Because checking for alerts doesn't mean I have time to visit the 10+ threads I'm sometimes subscribed to at one time, and if I do visit them without reading due to lack of time, I have to move back through the thread to find the alert I didn't actually read.

I like the new forum style and options but the old subscription system was far superior. I've missed so many updates in Imperium Offtopicum due to this nonsense.

5. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

You know that you can click on "Watched Threads", right? It doesn't automatically show up on phones because "Account Upgrades" is listed last on the Forums menu (rather than first, as I would do it), but that's essentially the same as the old subscription system.

6. Angst

I did not know that. Thanks for your help.

7. tjs282

tjs282 Whale snark...

Not sure if this is the right place for this question/request (if it is, please feel free to move it to/start a new thread), but it's certainly related:

I just discovered the 'New Posts' button, and it's very useful when looking for new/interesting threads to lurk or subscribe to, but there is no way (that I can see) to sort the entries (40 per page?) by potential interest-level.

Sooo... Would it be possible to get XenForo to auto-sort the 'New Posts' list e.g. by subforum, using the same kind of collapsible widgets as on the Forums front-page (and/or even allow users to set individual filters) so we can avoid being notified about things we're definitely not interested in?

e.g. Complaints about Civ VI's recent 'patches' seem to be blooming at a prolific rate right now. While this is quite understandable, given the modern paradigm of 'release first, bug-fix later', such posts/threads are entirely irrelevant to anyone who doesn't have the game (or any intention of buying it) -- so it would be useful in this case to be able to see "New Posts minus all those in the CivVI forum"