1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I know she's a Muslim, but...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...r-accused-sending-anti-semitic-tweets-n969946

She's already been sent to the back of the bus for the sin of telling us about AIPAC. Well, she was probably already back there but now she's gonna stay until she's primaried by AIPAC's chosen one.

and she has now bowed in shame

Here's what apparently got her in trouble... agreeing with Glenn Greenwald (I think he's Jewish, no?).

It's stunning how much time US political leaders spend defending a foreign nation even if it means attacking free speech rights of Americans - Greenwald

It's all about the Benjamins baby - Omar

In response to someone asking who could possibly be paying US politicians to support Israel she tweeted:

AIPAC - Omar

Well, that got our Congress upset... I dont know what AIPAC does other than lobby, but isn't Israel buying politicians?

Why is it anti-semitic to say members of Congress are taking money from the Israeli lobby? Seems like a straw man, Congressman John Doe takes foreign money, gets accused of it, and his response is: you hate the people bribing me. I think she's hating on you, John.

inthesomeday likes this.
  2. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

She should have been more specific in her rebuttal. There's plenty of space, even on twitter, to offer a quick post about why you think AIPAC or our special relationship with Israel influences foreign policy in a bad way. Just yelling it's all about money and AIPAC is a rookie mistake and given Jewish stereotypes she should know better.

Now, is all of the Republican finger pointing entirely hypocritical when people like Kevin McCarthy spread posts about wealthy Jewish people controlling the world? Yeah. And the anti-BDS movement is a grossly anti-free-speech movement in how it seeks to exercise away any right to protest or boycott. But she needs to know better on social media. Twitter is where 100000000 politicians have gotten in trouble and just because we've all collectively thrown our hands up at Republican antisemitism and racism online because it bares no political repercussions for them doesn't mean Omar needs to make this any easier. This is sort of like Warren and the DNA test, lots of room to be insulting and short-sighted, almost no room to be cognizant and nuanced and gain anything when doing this Extremely Online.

shadowplay and Estebonrober like this.
  3. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain

Only conclusion is: All PACs should die.

Oerdin likes this.
  4. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Poor Pac-Man

shadowplay and Silurian like this.
  5. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

what is he hitting Pac Man with? looks like those clackers... I hope

She learned her lesson... Conform or be cast out. Kinda shows how the only diversity that matters is intellectual.

I saw something about McCarthy getting criticized for his anti-Soros rhetoric. Now he's criticizing her lol, naturally.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Cherries.

Berzerker likes this.
  7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Seems like she hasn't gotten around to taking the AOC "How Not to Suck at Twitter" classes yet.

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

So the israeli lobby doesnt lobby to maintain the usa chained to israel?
    That is not what known anti-jew jew noam chomsky tells me.
    And aren't the republican politicians the most bribed or loon supporters of israel? I recall a nice segment by jon stewart, when the rep party invited netanyahoo.

Btw, if she is arab she is semitic. At some point the phrase should be anti-jewish. If one dislikes the (eg) french it sounds stupid to define him as "anti-european".

9. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

She’s Somali.

Oerdin and Kyriakos like this.
  10. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Well, she has a point, lobby organisations are powerful and AIPAC especially. Could have made the point better, but again, the American public seems to discuss semantics over content... Well

Nexlev, TheMeInTeam and Kyriakos like this.
  11. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Twitter is a malignant brain tumor for modern society.

Oerdin and TheMeInTeam like this.
  12. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

This I don't use it. Would rather suck my brain out and flush it down the toilet.

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I dont use twitter either, due to the so few words allowed.

14. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I've blocked twitter and all its urls but even traditional news is becoming nothing but screen-caps and quotes of tweets and Facebook posts.

I'm always praying "Please Sun, just give us one direct jet of charged particles. Make us clean again."

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Tic Tok, despite what YouTube imports from it, seems to be the present bastion of unapologetically wholesome fun. Won't last forever. I don't play on my phone enough to snag it, but that's the impression I get. Might just be a young enough crowd to not be angry and self important like Twitter seems to be?

16. r16

r16 not deity

the "influence" thing is "real" as those brilliant people destined to live in this 1000 years of Heaven on Earth like to hide behind the "influence" and as noted (in the thread or whatever) it's really stupid for her to hobble whatever case she might have to advance . And trust me , ı won't be used as a sandbag by the stuntwoman for this post .

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

There is a problem with putting the whole onus on people like her to be hypersensitive in their language to avoid charges of antisemitism is a fool's errand when those charges are going to be made in bad faith anyway. It's exactly like the Labour controversy in the UK - there is nothing they can do to silence the people making the charges of antisemitism, because those charges of antisemitism are just a pretext for other issues anyway.

That said it is certainly true that we should be careful with our language because there are a lot of people who are approaching this question in good faith. But to imagine that there is some 'correct' way to formulate criticism of Israeli crimes that won't draw any charges of antisemitism is clearly false.

18. r16

r16 not deity

common interest of war with Iran . Voiced by Netanyahu who has elections in early April , which he is slated to win anyhow , during a conference in Warsaw , edited out quickly but stil there . And Congresswoman has already qualified herself out , because she is a "racist" already .

19. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

20. Nexlev

Nexlev Chieftain

It contributes to a climate that normalizes a narrative that LITERALLY...

can't finish. I'm shaking. Can't even.