I liberate their capital and they're hostile?!

Esteban

Chieftain
Russia was eliminated a thousand years ago, I liberate Moscow and what do I get? AN HOSTILE CATHERINE. Seriously I should've just razed it.

I got this too. Liberated Beijing and Wu Zetian is like "What do you want, oh bloodthirsty one?" And she was noted to be Hostile in the diplomacy screen.

I was all, "Um what? Shedding the blood of thousands of Greeks so you could be free again." After another 100 years of her sending me random insults, I had enough and re-conquered her.

I mean, not even a "thank you?"

Could anyone of you please provide a savegame?

Here it is: View attachment hostile liberated.rar

Just liberate Pasargadae and give it back to Darius. When you contact him, he's mad and asking what the bloodthirsty wants.

When he was eliminated, I was at war with him and asked Alexander to deal with.

Looks like the game don't update the status of re-born civilizations/city-states.

I checked the files. There currently is no entry to modify diplomacy in any shape or form if you liberate a major power. Only for city states it exists. This goes counter to the Liberate City tooltip in game which says they will thank you for it and be indebted and whatever.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Here it is: View attachment 266266

Just liberate Pasargadae and give it back to Darius. When you contact him, he's mad and asking what the bloodthirsty wants.

When he was eliminated, I was at war with him and asked Alexander to deal with.

Looks like the game don't update the status of re-born civilizations/city-states.

Could please anyone confirm it with this savegame here?

I loaded jacyp's save game and confirm his description of what happens. When you mouseover the Liberate the City option, the tooltip states:

"This City was formerly owned by Darius I. You have the opportunity to return it to them (sic), for which they (sic) would be eternally grateful."

OTOH, p.117 of the English manual states:

"If a civilization has been removed from the game and you capture one of those civ’s cities, you have the option of annexing it, making it your puppet, or liberating it. If you do so, the civilization returns to play. The liberated civ will always vote for you in UN elections. In case of multiple liberators, the civ will vote for whoever liberated them most recently."

IMHO, this is a bug only if the phrase "eternally grateful" implies that the civilization's attitude towards you will improve. It might mean that, or it might only imply that they'll vote for you in the UN elections. In either case, the developers' intent should be clarified.

I see it this way: Liberate a minor civ and you get influence AND their vote.
Liberate a major civ and get their vote only.

Just doesn't seem right.

I did liberate Askia and two turns later he declared WAR on me..cause i was a warmongerer...

And to make things worse, even if they are not hostile, they still complain immediately about your military units being massed near their borders. Um, hello, they're massed near your borders because I just fought a war to liberate you and haven't had a chance to move them away yet! It's so annoying.

Top Bottom