1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I lost, but not how I expected to

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by smacksay71, Aug 30, 2007.

1. smacksay71

smacksay71 Chieftain

As Darius of Persia, I was running just behind Justinian in tech. Willem finished the Internet 2 turns before me, so that was a big kick in the pants. I stole a few techs from Justinian, but made the fatal mistake of stealing Laser instead of Fiber Optics. Justinian built his Engines from Fusion while he was researching Genetics, which I already had. He launched his ship one turn before I launched mine.

I knew I was going to lose, and by only one turn. I was playing out the last few turns, and with three turns to go, I got a message:

"Ramesses II has won a Cultural Victory!"

We were so busy trying to put our spaceships together, we never realized that Egypt had become the place to be.

So I lost anyway, but at least Justinian didn't beat me.

2. Sueff

Sueff Warlord

There should be a message if someone is close to cultural or domination victory.

3. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

You should always check F8 screen. Even if you're ahead of everyone check what everyone's up to. If someone's close to domination victory they'll come after you even if you're their friend.

4. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

Funny enough, I had exactly this with Ramesses the other day :)

I agree it would be handy if there was a warning of a Cultural or Domination victory... I actually rarely check F8 unless I'm tracking a space race.

Am thinking of disabling Cultural Victories... I never go for them myself, and I hate it when an AI wins one!

5. Ruler

Ruler Prince

lol, why not to tell player what kind of victories AI is going for at first turn, heck open even a window every turn to see how well they are progressing towards their goals.

6. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Bah to that! :) The fact that the AIs can and do win via cultural in BTS is one of the reasons BTS is so good. Pre BTS the AIs pretty much only ever went for space race.

I recently did a cultural victory for the first time. Not my style and it takes some interesting coordination. If the AI can do it, that's awesome (or you're letting the game go on for way, way too long and they're getting there by luck).

7. ThorRex

ThorRex Chieftain

I'm impressed also that the AI can win a cultural victory. I lost one to the Indians recently. I was surprised but impressed. I don't recall the AI ever accomplishing this in Warlords.

8. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

Blake's job :)

Why the heck would you disable cultural victory? You don't like AI winning???

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Finaly the AI didnt accidently wiin a spaceship, what almost everybody here was clamoring for, the ai apears to be better (i havnt played much BtS, so i cant say for sure, darn that addicting final frontier). And now they want to disable victories that they dont like. i rarely go for cultural because it seams to hard, and the ai is going for it. i also got my but kicked by justinians medieval age stack of cataphracts, so it is no longer the one cat invaision force. yay for good ai.

10. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Is this true? Does the AI actually actively go for a domination victory, or are they just trying to crush all their enemies? I've seen the AI get pretty aggressive, but I've never noticed them actively seeking a domination victory to the point where they would back stab an ally for it.

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well it could be they are never close enough to make you worth backstabbing (they have to coun on actually winning the war somewhat).

In any case I think there is an announcement whenever a city becomes Legendary [although that is probably just mine]

12. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

You misread me, I just said I didn't like AI Cultural victories. :) A guy's allowed to dislike something! ;)

13. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

You will stil see a message when an AI's city goes legendary I am pretty sure.

14. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Solvers Patch includes a change to AI logic that makes the AI "realize" when it is aproaching a domination victory, and as such it will increase it's aggression, and go for population increasing (read health) techs and buildings. Since most of Solver's patch AI changes (and alot of it in general for that matter) is under the table stuff from fireaxis to release the patch updates before QC checks and other corporate buerocracy, you can expect this to be a main feature in BTS AI post patch.

15. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I lost a game because while Asoka and I were competing to finish a spaceship first, Pacal landed a cultural victory I was too absorbed to notice was on its way. It was a bit of an anticlimax, but I don't think the game shoudl warn you about such things. It's up to you to notice them. Anyway, I never use backstabbing to win spaceship or cultural games. It's a self-imposed rule of mine.

16. Underdawg

Underdawg King

Correct.

Anyways.... heck in BTS, some AI actually go for Domination! Though I've only really seen it on large/huge maps with more AI (11-18).

17. Ethric

Ethric Warlord

I'd like to be able to shut of cultural victory for my self, but let the AI win that way. Because it seems hard to stop a cultural victory for myself, if I feel like trying for another type of win. Though it does take a while to get it.

People say the AI go for victories other than just beating everyone now, is there any risk of the AI doing what people suggest doing for a player to gain cultural victory? Namely shutting off research around liberalism and setting culture sliders to max. I sure hope not ;)

18. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

I saw Ai doing that around communism. But at least she had rifling and was the secodn or third in tech before shutting it down.

19. Ethric

Ethric Warlord

Would other AI players try to stop a cultural victory (take the city)? To me they seem oblivious to when I reach space race/cultural victory. They ought to try to rally against anyone about to win except if they are close friends (close enough to vote for that player for diplomatic victory).

20. RockTheCazbah87

RockTheCazbah87 Pacal's pal

I've only ever seen a Space Race victory from the AI.

I've never seen them get close either - Justinian was close to one, he'd smashed up Charlemagne and Hammurabi but I launched my ship just in time. :)