I Love Asphalt! (Or not)

Dragar

Chieftain
While the road looks good zoomed in, when I'm zoomed out onto globe view, the roads appear as heavy black lines with yellow marks at random places.

a) Is it supposed to look like this?
b) If so, can I disable this aspect of BUG (I like pretty much the rest of the package)?

This is a problem with the original road texture, which was poorly optimized. I fixed it for myself and posted my version in this thread. It's the in FfH forum, but that file will work for any mod. I don't know of any other solutions for this problem, aside from one other mod that makes roads a flat, light gray in all eras.

This is a problem with the original road texture, which was poorly optimized.

The Civ4 one, or the one in BUG? If the latter, could the same fix be applied to the mipmaps for BUG's modern roads? I know what a mipmap is (kinda), but that's the extent of my graphics knowledge in this area.

I like BUG's roads because they are easier for me to distinguish from railroads (bad eyes). I'd love it if they also looked nicer while zoomed out.

I misread the OP. Roads do look pretty strange when you zoom all the way out to globe view, but I don't know of a solution for that. Maybe it's worse for BUG's roads because there's more contrast between colors.

The problem I was talking about is the fact that if you zoom out just a little bit, all of the highlights in the road textures fade out and what you see is a much darker, less detailed line. This is a side-effect of typical texture reduction methods. Load that mod_roads.dds file in PS or Gimp, or whatever, and resize it to 50%. Pretty terrible, but I guess Firaxis decided it wasn't a problem because the darkening actually makes roads more legible against the brightly-colored vanilla terrain.

There's no reason the mipmaps for BUG's modern roads can't be tuned to keep the painted borders visible at medium range, but now that I think about it, the best thing may be to just make modern roads a solid black line from the get-go. It would look about the same as it does now at medium zoom, and you wouldn't get that yellow weirdness in the globe view.

Top Bottom