I love battleships

Rombizio

Chieftain
I play on King. Everything random including personalities.

I beeline for battleships when I want a Domination victory and steamroll everybody else. Never fails. I would say they are OP in archipelago or fractal maps as they act both as a very powerful artillery against cities and units and they can move extremely fast. Combined with a few subs and the map is yours in no time. I don't even have an army. Just one infantry unit that comes along to take the cities. Sometimes I even get a destroyer to make it even easier.

I am yet to lose a game with this strategy. Even with a Pangea map they are awesome to capture coastal cities.

What you guys think?

I like the strat too, and I like water maps.

Naval melee is fun - privateers, Ironclads, Destroyers , promoted to take cities.

The best is the range promotion for battleships - 4 tiles - Sit back and blast.

Battleships are great, I agree. Taking down cities with battleships and their +3 range is very easy to do. Only difficulty battleships might face however are rival submarines or nuclear subs but battleships are still good city bombarders backed up with a few destroyers and subs to hunt down rival subs.

Dammit. You guys are going to make me abandon my current game and start a new one, because... ... ... BATTLESHIPS! :goodjob:

If you have the Scrambled Continents pack, definitely try out the Small Continents Plus map. IMO it creates fantastic maps for using navies and of all the different maps I've tried is the most "fair" to all the civs (including Polynesia, Carthage, England, Portugal, and Indonesia who sometimes get really messed over by maps). Even Denmark can theoretically rock it.

And of course Battleships are very feared there. :)

If you have the Scrambled Continents pack, definitely try out the Small Continents Plus map. IMO it creates fantastic maps for using navies and of all the different maps I've tried is the most "fair" to all the civs (including Polynesia, Carthage, England, Portugal, and Indonesia who sometimes get really messed over by maps). Even Denmark can theoretically rock it.

And of course Battleships are very feared there. :)
I've yet to try a Small Continents Plus map. How exactly does it differ from continents? -which is the type I always play. Thanks in advance

For me battleships are a must in every domination game. Easy coastal cities.

There's a reason they don't obsolete ;)

Also, there are lots of complaints about frigates being OP, but battleships are WAY more OP TBH :lol:

I too love battleships. Not only are they extremely powerful, but they're also possibly the :cool:est unit in the game.

Battleships and destroyers should be switched in the tech tree. Currently, if your'e going for science/culture you pick up battleships pretty easily/accidentally. They're so dominant that you should have to go out of your way to get them, similar to artillery.

Battleships are totally awesome. Even better when they are upgraded SOTL that have collected plenty of promotions.

I play on King. Everything random including personalities.

I beeline for battleships when I want a Domination victory and steamroll everybody else. Never fails. I would say they are OP in archipelago or fractal maps as they act both as a very powerful artillery against cities and units and they can move extremely fast. Combined with a few subs and the map is yours in no time. I don't even have an army. Just one infantry unit that comes along to take the cities. Sometimes I even get a destroyer to make it even easier.

I am yet to lose a game with this strategy. Even with a Pangea map they are awesome to capture coastal cities.

What you guys think?

Yea, it`s pretty enjoyable. I like to make a task force or two with a couple of carriers flanked by battleships, some designed for ship-to-ship battles and others for blasting cities (extended range) plus a couple of subs. Cities will fall easily to this Taskforce. It`s a pity though that the AI gets stumped a lot by this. I actually destroyed a HUGE Shaka powerhouse of a civ on an islands map just by hopping all over Midway-style. Shaka was completely stumped.

I think it`s time for me to try a higher difficulty.

I actually destroyed a HUGE Shaka powerhouse of a civ on an islands map just by hopping all over Midway-style. Shaka was completely stumped.

Yeah, I did the same. Shaka's navy kinda consisted of a few gallieases and maybe a carvel, whilst I had 5 frigates. You know the AI is having problems when not even Shaka can conquer a city state :p

So long as I have enough oil, they're on my build/buy list instantly. And, as mentioned, if you stumble across early enough, you will have plenty of oil (no other uses at the time) and be way way ahead of ruling the ocean over other competitors. They just decimate cities!

Yeah, I did the same. Shaka's navy kinda consisted of a few gallieases and maybe a carvel, whilst I had 5 frigates. You know the AI is having problems when not even Shaka can conquer a city state :p

Ah, but in my case Shaka also had battleships and carriers and even a few subs- he should`ve wiped me out since I was much smaller and he had about 40 cities, but I wiped out his first task force. I kept wondering when he was really going to attack me, but he never did.

I used my two taskforces with care and precision while he just dribbled after that. He was never really a threat. He just doesn`t really know how to use his fleets tactically from what i saw. This was on King.

I play on the Small Continents Plus Scrambled Map and another great use for battleships is blasting Barbarians into the stone age. Then use any gifted old unit to clean up the nest.

Top Bottom