1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I Love Philosophy Slingshot

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by CELTICEMPIRE, Feb 3, 2013.

1. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I just started using this strategy in two of my games as the Byzantines and the Dutch (on Monarch difficulty). Since both of these civs start with alphabet, getting to Philosophy is easy, I make sure I get pottery before then so I can get Map Making as my free tech. After that I start building ships and exploring and settling before everyone else (this is an archipelago map). During my rush to Philosophy I got an SGL and used him to hurry the great lighthouse the turn it became available. Now I have Dromons with 5 movement points that can travel through sea! Of course, since I neglected research of other techs to do it, my science adviser informed me that we were technologically backwards, no problem, I sold Writing to Egypt for The Wheel and Masonry, and made similar deals with my other neighbors. I went from backwards to advanced within one turn. I had never utilized this strategy that much before today, but now I'm using it whenever I can.

Have you fellow civvers had similar experiences?

2. TomYo689

TomYo689 Chieftain

If anyone thinks they have a chance at grabbing it first philosophy will be a normal research target

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

CELTICEMPIRE, I think you have a wrong notion of what the term "Slingshot" means. It is called "slingshot", only if you pick Republic as your free tech (not such a cheap tech like Map Making...;)) This is then really really powerful, allowing you to leave Despotism (and starting your exponential growth) centuries before you would have been able to otherwise!

4. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

well, to be more precise, it is called slingshot if you can get any of the expensive government techs of the Ancient Age for it, i.e. Republic or Monarchy. but still, as Lanzelot says, not if you choose any other "cheap" tech. then you just got a freebie... fair enough, but no (government) slingshot.

this specific slingshot-strategy will give you the possibility to change into a better government (than despotism) MUCH MUCH EARLIER than any tech speed would allow you to.

t_x

5. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd Chieftain

Still good use of the free tech, Celtic Empire. Fast Dromons on an archipeligo map are fun!

6. MarkK

MarkK Chieftain

Damn. You guys are way above my mental capacity at this time. But that's why I keep coming back.

7. CELTICEMPIRE

Well, on an archipelago map it made more sense to do map making. I do eventually get to Republic (and earlier than most civs), but I like having the advantage of colonizing the uninhabited islands before anyone else can get to them.

8. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

Researching MM once you are a Republic is usually a smaller problem than the other way 'round.

9. Lanzelot

Yep. Unless the island is really small, you should be able to get Rep and MM, before you run out of space on your island?!

10. CELTICEMPIRE

I was only able to settle 3 cities on my island.

11. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

That's why I said "usually". :p

12. Lanzelot

Well, in that case it may be ok as an "exception from the rule"... ;)

13. antimuff

antimuff Chieftain

Only room for 3? I'd have restarted.

14. Theov

Theov Chieftain

others just play with the cards they've been given.

15. antimuff

antimuff Chieftain

Yeah, some people like pain too....;)

16. Buttercup

Buttercup Chieftain

Archipelago my A$$ - it dumps four civs on one big island then, on the other side of the globe, it has two big islands next to each other with two civs on each. I was gonna take a screeny of that and then ask you all to guess whether it was a 'Continents' game or an 'Archipelago' game. Apart from one half decent sized island (with no luxs and no iron) the rest of the planet was essentially water LOL. And what's the point in Archipelagos in Civ III anyway, the Corruption makes them 100 turn dead duck waste-pools even if you do put the effort in to grab a couple of islands.

And a final amusing gripe about Civ III. I was playing a Normal sized map (7 opponents) and I had the entire world (except for the middle of the deep seas) entirely mapped out before I'd even discovered Astronomy. The entire world then mapped pretty much as soon as Navigation was learned. I may have just been a very bad Civ II player, but the Apollo Great Wonder which gives a full view of the world was always a treat in Civ II, the same Modern Age 'bonus' for researching Satellites counts as possibly the most laughable 'bonus' in Civ III.

The Republic slingshot is ok for the long-haul, but if all you need is to dump a rival of your island then something like Map Making is ideal. Likewise, changing to Republic while you're still small and expanding is just asking for a crippled economy if you've got raging barbarians and an aggressive neighbor. Also, if you're playing with lots of aggressive Civs, all that happens sometimes is that you find yourself being forced by Germany to give the tech away for free a few turns later or find your economy devastated by and early war, which, if you were in despotism, would have been fun.

Monarchy slingshot is ok for warring but a bit of a waste/annoyance if it requires you do two revolutions in one game (ie: planning to change to Rep/Dem/Com later with a non-religious Civ).