I miss Civ5's city-state quests.

darkace77450

Emperor
One quest per era doesn't leave a lot of room to quest for city-state influence (envoys). And because many of us are triggering specific eurekas and inspirations anyway, it doesn't feel like much of a quest if I'm not going out of my way to achieve the goal. Granted not all quests are eurekas or inspirations, but they seem to come up quite often.

I also liked that different city-states would ask for help when being attacked by other civs or ask us to attack their rival city-state neighbors. Since quests are locked in at era's start only not refreshed until the next era begins there's less room for fluid quests based upon geopolitical events like wars.

I hope the developers consider the state of city-state quests if and when they decide to give diplomacy another look.

Vox Populi did a great job with building on the city state mechanics. It makes it far more viable to keep them alive if the quests you're receiving are coherent.

I remember most Civ 5 games I played had irrational City states that constantly wanted you to conquer other city states. Irrational certainly is the operative word.

the conquering other city states thing was strictly vanilla civ 5, if i'm not mistaken. afterwards that particular quest was scrapped entirely and the quest to demand tribute from other city states was added in its stead, which i think works way better

the quests for demanding tributes, as well as a few others, also have time limits so as to not use up a quest slot (CS can have up to 3 quests going at a time IIRC) for the entire game

while i agree with OP that i think CS quests in civ 6 could be done better, keep in mind that both games deal with CS influence differently; in civ 5 you gain influence points that degrade over time, whereas in civ 6 you gain permanent envoys (unless the CS is conquered, anyway). so it makes sense that the quests be less frequent and that there be fewer overall

You declare on a civ, you have 6 envoys in Hattusa and lose suz status because that AI bought it with the 49 envoys he saved? Why doesn't the AI use their envoys to full ability, before being declared on?

Also, give CS walls and 5 warriors from the start , then the AI can try that.

I miss the ones that pitted you directly against the other civs, such as researching the most techs or generating the most faith over 30 turns.

And the building a road to their capital quest, which offered a challenge in terms of how to prevent the City State's own military from blocking your Workers access to the tiles they needed to build the road :lol:.

The demand tribute from another City State was a good mechanism to make it harder to maintain a relationship with multiple City States at the same time. Germany knows something about this in terms of EU relationships :D.

Not sure any of these would fit with Civ 6's system, but they were more fun than Civ 6's quests. Then again, watching paint dry would be more fun than Civ 6's quests.

And the building a road to their capital quest, which offered a challenge in terms of how to prevent the City State's own military from blocking your Workers access to the tiles they needed to build the road :lol:.
Oh GAWD don't remind me, that was the part where they actually fixed it by making the CS build a road to their own borders when giving you that quest, and then they removed the fix in the subsequent expansion. :badcomp:

Oh GAWD don't remind me, that was the part where they actually fixed it by making the CS build a road to their own borders when giving you that quest, and then they removed the fix in the subsequent expansion. :badcomp:

That's kind of the defining characteristic of Ed Beach - led quality control, isn't it?

*cough* Immortals *cough*

And since roads cost gold maintenance in Civ 5, it was often detrimental to your finances to complete that quest.

Top Bottom