1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I miss my Axemen

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ronin228, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Ronin228

Ronin228 Chieftain

Anyone else sad at the demise of the Axemen? It Civ3 and Civ4 it was glorious when you finally got bronze working and started making Axemen to chop down barbs and rival civs. I miss my little sadomasochistic looking axemen wearing their weird little fetish outfits and their over-sized axes.

Now I must wait to build swordsmen for a semi-decent melee unit... which don't nearly have the power they should

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

In Civ3 there were no Axemen.

3. Ronin228

Ronin228 Chieftain

You're right I'm just getting confused.

4. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

:goodjob:

5. smitbr

smitbr Chieftain

brutes and spearman are a poorly bunch, but ciV has taken away a lot of units in its attempt to streamline the game. One only needs to look at the ROM "mod" (more like expansion) to see more units than you could chuck a bucket of sticks at. More units over a bigger timeline = more variety and more fun.

axemen just didnt fit into the streamline cut

brute - swordsmen \
    archer - crossbow - (muskets) - rifleman - infantry - mech
    spearman - pikeman /

chariot - horse - knight - cavalry/lancer

tank - modern armour

siege units - all the same, op maniacs especially if you beeline to dynamite with the range upgrade. 4 tile range!!!

throw paratrooper in for flavour and that is meant to be the land units for the entirety of civilization. our civ is meant to stand the test of 5000 years, whereas this seems more like your average game of chess with a handful of different pieces. bring back diversity! bring back axemen! and why not thermo tanks and clone soldiers while we're at it