I miss my civ4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Da_V_Man, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Da_V_Man

Da_V_Man Chock full of V goodness

Alas, I wish I could play civ 4, but my craptop refuses to handle it. So now I'm stuck playing civ 4-1. It's not bad, but not as good as civ 4. I envy those with good gaming computers.

2. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

Here's an idea, don't buy laptops to play games on.

3. Refar

Refar Deity

Sounds good in theory. Some people do need they computers to work on however...

4. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

I have a 3 year old laptop that I bought from a mate, it works fine for work, only $250, Awesome! However my real computer is awesome (to me)... 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, 7950GT graphics card and more hard drive than I would ever need.

Maybe this sounds better, don't play games on a laptop... Slam your head into rocks instead!

5. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

aaaaaarghhhhhh [pissed] i'm still playing civ4 on the equivalent of an 8-bit atari console. it used to be state of the art, if crayon is art...

there are, however, laptops that can easily cope with the demands of civ4.

6. Da_V_Man

Da_V_Man Chock full of V goodness

Well, I had another computer I could play on, and that one crashed. I told it not to drink and drive!

7. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

I have had two different computers since getting Civ IV (when it came out), my first one shat itself. I got a new one (described above) but I have recently gotten the original working once more, a new ram chip here, more Hard Disk there, it works again.

8. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

playing civ iv bts on my lapop as I type this... :)

9. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Here's an idea: try living on the road, traveling to Europe periodically, and carting a desktop around with you everywhere you go. Civ IV runs fine on my laptop. My condolences to the original poster.

10. zyphyr

zyphyr Prince

Gee, my Laptop matches your 'real computer' specs. Nothing wrong with a laptop for games, just have to spend a bit more and make sure you don't get screwed and get an Intel Integrated Graphics Chipset.

11. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Very true post. Its the onboard that screws most of em. Lets say its the same on PC's as well.

12. hossam

hossam Deity

i play civ on a laptop runs pretty good, altough on huge the wait between turns takes a bit longer than it normally does.

13. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

Yeah, well... I'm not made of money, so I can't go on trips to Europe. Even if I did I would not bring a laptop to play Civ IV on... You must have too much money and not enough to do.

14. Olleus

Olleus Deity

OR, he goes to europe for work. Seriously howard, you are one of the few people on this forum who tries to get up people's noses. Ever heard of tolerance?

15. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

I play CIV 4 on my laptop. Works fine, but it's an expensive option. Pretty much top of the range when I bought it about 18 months ago (so obsolete now then :cry: ). Gets very hot when playing CIV which increases wear and tear - already had to have the graphics card replaced once. But still better than having one PC for work and one at home. And it means I can play CIV wherever I go :D :D :D

16. Hilliar

Hilliar Chieftain

Yeah, I recently found out the hard way the consequences of trying to use laptops for gaming. Use a laptop exclusively now at Uni, used to go with my gaming desktop... so had to sell my other games.

BUT Civ IV + ex packs works fine on my laptop. Core 2 Centrino Duo, GMA950 Integrated graphics and 2Gigs of Ram.... might get abit of slowdown in late game but still nice.

17. Hilliar

Hilliar Chieftain

Very much lookin forwards to that myself.. :cool:

18. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

As has already been said, some people have jobs that require they travel. They aren't necessarily made of money. When you A) travel a lot, and B) like Civ, spending the extra $500 for a laptop with non-integrated graphics and a good chunk of RAM is well worth it, because laptops like that play Civ dreamily. That's what I got 2.5 years ago, and I play BTS on it all the time - less than $2000 CDN from a major chain.

19. pikesfan

pikesfan Chieftain

But if I wasn’t a wolf and had the revenues of France like you do, I could afford an extra $500 for a laptop too :) Maybe if the original poster changed his avatar to Mansa Musa, the money for a laptop would roll in... :crazyeye:

20. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

Why not get Civ3?