1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I must have pleased the wonder gods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OmniPotent42, Jun 24, 2013.

1. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Krakatoa is within range of a city. Once in a lifetime roll. :D

The rest of the map is a really good roll. Isolated start as Babylon on Immortal, I should be able to win this one pretty easily. Starting location is Petra-perfect as well. A powerful navy will be very important on this map.

Attached Files:

2. ense7en

ense7en n7

Yeah that's rare.
    It's been less than five times i've seen it within range of where a city can be placed.

3. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

In all my 650 hours with Civ V I've never seen it that close. Usually it's off by itself in the middle of the ocean. What are the yields for krakatoa?

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

5. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

you bastard

6. Callonia

Callonia Deity

DANGER ITS A TRAP! DON'T SETTLE THERE, THERE'S A RUIN THERE FOR A GOOD REASON YOUR CITY WILL BE TURNED INTO ASHES BY KRAKOA!

*Cough* Congrats :)

I've seen it happen only once for me too XD

7. eris

eris King

Not only did it happen in my last game, but I had randomly drawn Isabella. Not only that, but I found it real early from a map from an ancient ruin. (I think it might have been hard to see from an early land explorer without that map.) Not only that, but the one land tile that could reach it also had two fish resources and a crab and made a decent instant second city despite mediocre land tiles. I figure I am going to be paying back for that luck for many many games.

10 :c5science:

8. alpha wolf 64

alpha wolf 64 Byte me

I have never seen it

9. Digary

Digary Chieftain

Congratulations. With a river, mountain, stone and truffles too. Very nice.
    Only had it in range once and there was nothing in the area making it worth my time to settle a city.

Regarding natural wonders, do some crop up more than others? I have only ever seen El Dorado once, but I seem to get the Grand Mesa nearby in most games I play.

10. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Yes! :) El Dorado and The Fountain of Youth are extremely rare (being fictional and all :lol:), while the rest have a better chance of appearing.
    Personally, with the high influx of faith mountains in Gods & Kings, I'm getting tons of those, and not so many of the more interesting Natural Wonders... :( Not that they are bad, but it gets repetitive at times...

Also, that seems like a great game you're going to have! :D Have fun!

11. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I once had it in the range of a city too... but I had to build it on a one-tile island.

12. Dr. D

Dr. D Warlord

It was within the third ring of a possible city site in my last game but to get it within that third ring, I'd have to move a tile away from a mountain and when weighing Krakatoa vs. the observatory bonus, it just wasn't worth it.

13. Ricardo_

Ricardo_ Warlord

Funny how in real life settling new a volcano, specially in 4000BC is not such a great idea :p

14. pilot00

pilot00 King

Santorini comes to mind :D

15. PDMX

PDMX Warlord

On earth map it is usually workable. I guess it only makes sense there...

I once had double great barrier reef next to my starting location. This is crazy rare.

Just to mention: Moving the settler pays off!!! :D

16. Cahillicus

Cahillicus Warlord

You lucky son of a . I never get a natural wonder start!:mad:

17. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Not only is Krakatoa workable, but there's a mountain to settle next to and plenty of jungle. That'll be a nice science city.

18. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

How useful is Krakatoa in the long run? 5 science. Big deal, right? It is great at the beginning, but when you are cranking 100+ science a turn, does it really help?

How much do those bonuses scale?

19. nanomage

nanomage Longbowman

well it scales with +33/50% Univercity modifier. But early on, it's like Babylon-light, and people don't usually ask that question about Babylon.

20. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

With Babylon though its +8 science + the base tile yield. Krakatoa is only +5 science and no food/production that you would otherwise get with an academy. Its still worth working early on - but if you have a city in range of it, first thing you should do is build a granary as with many other natural wonders, to get some food going