1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I must say I like Rise and Fall!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

I builld it early, for Ancestral Hall.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I also like his trade route/growth promotion.

3. Pomacanthus

Pomacanthus Chieftain

I actually use Victor quite a lot due to my warmongering, Embrasure (extra city shots) can really give a punch at enemies. Up to 4 shots with encampments.

I tend to place the Government District near loyalty vulnerable areas, either my cities or the enemy's.

4. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I don't play very wide, so settlers aren't as crucial an issue to me as some of the earlier perks of other governors. I agree that for early wide play, it would be useful.

5. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Yeah, R&F is great.

6. PeterChu

PeterChu Chieftain

I did similar things in my last game. I put Amani in Geneva in order to suppress the scientific advantage that Seondeok's Korea got. Then I found out, since Geneva was located near the border of the Korea civ, more aggressive move could be made. With a spy to sabotage her governors in her cities, running Bread & Circuses at the same, I soon got one Korean cites flipped. And then, Domino Effect from loyalty pressure made a second city fliping. Finally, even the Korea capital city showed sign of rebel. Of course, there were campus districts in these two Korean cities, and the city flipping events decreased Korean scientific advantage significantly.

BTW I usually choose Amani for my second governor if possible, and put her in the CS I deem necessary to complement or enhance the Unique Ability and UI the civ I play with.

In most games I chose Magnus as my first governor, but I did this mainly for his ability to produce settlers without hampering pop growth of my industrial city.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    MaryKB likes this.
  7. MaryKB

Yes! I love using those spies to first oust the governors, then I use them to create unrest to help with annexation. With Amani leading the way and my Bread & Circuses all along the border, it does become a domino effect indeed! I only wish that Culture played a role in Loyalty, but it appears it's just the Amenities. The interesting thing is that the AI has no clue what I am doing to them, and remained my friends!

Is it just me, or are all the American spies women? In the game where I did this, I had about 6 of them, and all had female names.

PeterChu likes this.
  8. PeterChu

PeterChu Chieftain

I would also appreciate Culture (together with Religion) could play a role in determining Loyalty. What a mess that would be! :grouphug: But some might regard this as going back too far in the direction of CIv 4. Other might think this would create too many obstacles on the highway to Domination VC, since CB and Loyalty things have made total warmongering a frustrating experience in CIv 6.

Will we see that in the next expansion? Probably not. But a Vox Populi mod for Civ 6 might just do that anyway. Fingers crossed.

BTW, American spies women? Why did I never get one?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  9. MaryKB

I just checked my save file, and I have these spies:

Amber (my "lead" Spy, she has the Quartermaster promotion and is running the show while protecting my capital)
    Velma (she is my best agent, has the most governors knocked out, using her Seduction promotion)
    Charity
    Eleanor
    Sarah

My team is elite and have had many successful missions. The Chinese captured Sarah once, but I got her back in a trade.

I wouldn't mind more obstacles for Domination Victory! I found that in the original game I felt too heavily pushed towards domination every game. I hate going to war and conquering, and prefer a civilized approach. I'll be aggressive of course: I push very hard with Culture and Loyalty (in Civilization 5 I was obsessed with overthrowing other civilizations' ideologies through tourism). I didn't play too much originally, sticking with Civilization 5 until more options became available. I am hoping the next expansion takes this further, being similar to Beyond the Sword and Brave New World. We need more of a late era diplomatic game!

May I ask what Vox Populi is? I am not familiar with this.

10. criZp

criZp Emperor

I don't like any of the governors, they just add unnecessary micro management. Stupid.

The balance is also terrible, magnus giving a ton of extra production as a base ability, while reyna gives a most pathetic +20% faster border growth.

11. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

MaryKB likes this.
  12. criZp

criZp Emperor

13. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Its not that pathetic when your city culture goes over 50 per turn. Just make sure she has a theater and you'll be ring 3 full soon enough

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  14. criZp

criZp Emperor

And how often do they? And a full 3rd ring doesn't matter much if you aren't gonna be using most of the tiles anyway.

15. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Or....you have close clusters of cities...due to the needs of the loyalty mechanic.

16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Reyna gives you 2 gold per pop meaning size does matter and at that size loyalty in the local area will be just fine.

MaryKB likes this.
  17. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I speak of the need for initial placement of cities. Also, consider the closeness of cities and their inevitable builds that can cut down on the placement of citizenry. Overlapping close cities is what I had in mind.

18. criZp

criZp Emperor

Size always matter, but when did you last run out of tiles to work?

19. BuzWeaverCiv

BuzWeaverCiv Warlord

The entire DLC has added a lot more substance to the game and has made the game feel a lot more meaningful. The AI still doesn't make that great of decisions or utilize it's units very effectively. I like that we aren't just pushing through era's now. We have a little more incentive to work through more tech's than jump ahead to grab the next era. Era Score, Loyalty, and Emergencies are very interesting mechanics. I love the additional touch to game assets like buildings and units. Love the newer buildings to include the government buildings, fisheries, and entertainment buildings. The level of variety and thought that went into this DLC was very nicely done. It would appear that neither the AI nor players really need to make AA units. When was the last time you saw an AI or even a player make Antiaircraft units? I personally love making an air force, however, as I mentioned earlier the AI seems to struggle with unit creation and deployment. The AI sends out its generals and admirals unattached to any unit(s).

Alliances have added a lot more meaningful interaction with the AI. There were times or games I'd play where I barely if ever really spoke to the AI's. The emergences are incredibly nice for more peaceful players who may not want to engage an enemy, well, now the enemy will come to us or we're offered the opportunity to participate in a war.

20. local_hero

local_hero Prince

My favourite governor is probably Pingala. I place him in the city with the Oracle if I get it for GP generation. Most of them are interesting. While Magnus is good I dislike to chop and think he has a very boring skill set.

It varies quite a lot when I build the government plaza. I try to find a spot where I'll get a lot of value from the adjacency bonus. But if there's room to expand a lot and quickly, I build it sooner for the ancestral hall.