I need help setting up 2 scenarios

Airlangga

Chieftain
I want to preface this by thanking everyone involved in this magnificent mod for putting in the tremendous work necessary to create it.I have played one game so far and have enjoyed it immensely.
I was especially enchanted with the prehistoric era which was a very immersive experience and I am also intrigued with the space content. Sadly, because I used a map with no space terrain I was not able to explore this aspect of the game yet.

Which brings me to my main point: I want to start 2 new games, one of which will be a drawn out version of the prehistoric era, with a multitude of tribes struggling for survival and supremacy and trying to reach the monumental achievement of a settled lifestyle, and the second one focusing solely on the future and space eras. Now because I am still a bit lost when it comes to setting up the game, I would be glad if you could suggest some good settings for these 2 scenarios.

A few details about what I want from the game:

For the Prehistoric Scenario:
- I need very slow research speed. The whole game should take about 700-1000 turns and stretch from the Prehistoric Era (first 600 or so turns) to the beginnings of the first copper and bronze age civilizations (last quarter of the game)
- The map should be either a Pangaea or have continents/islands that are reachable without advanced maritime technologies.
- There should be a lot of (potentially dangerous) wildlife, and quite a lot of civilizations and barbarians. I want to get a sense of many tribes fighting for supremacy and survival.
- The game should have a medium difficulty that provides enough challenge but doesn't get too frustrating.

The Space Scenario:
- I would prefer a map that isn't too small and has a lot of room for exploring
- The map should contain all of the possible space terrains
- Is there no, absolutely no, zero way to start in the modern era? I want to play this scenario specifically for the future eras and it would be a bummer if I had to play through all of the previous eras for weeks and weeks just to get to that point.

Please ask if you need to know more. Any advice or suggestions are very appreciated.

Kation map should be good enough for these, just get rescaled latitudes modmod.
For Prehistoric era use Eternity.

Since this is scenario you can't use later era starts.
Theoretically someone could do autorun on Noble until everyone reached Modern era on Blitz/Normal speed.

Kation map should be good enough for these, just get rescaled latitudes modmod.
For Prehistoric era use Eternity.

Since this is scenario you can't use later era starts.
Theoretically someone could do autorun on Noble until everyone reached Modern era on Blitz/Normal speed.

Hey Raxo and thanks for the help!

Should I use Kation map for both games or just the future one?

I will consider the autorun option.
Btw, how many civs do you recommend for the prehistoric game? There should be plenty but not so many that I'm constantly beleaguered from all sides.

Kation map is very good scenario for both of them - choose one of Old World civs, if you want to interact with multiple civs.
Babylon is center of old world - fairly easy to access 4 other civs.
Aborigens have a lot of island hopping.

Kation's map has Large sized earth, it has 7 civs.

Thank your for the shout-out @raxo2222! But I feel for the prehistoric scenario that map isn't the best as there are few civs that are far away from each other.

My suggestion would be then to use one of the map generators and playing it in eternity speed with increased technology costs. Probably a standard sized map with 15 AI's?

As for the space scenario, @Airlangga you can of course play in modern times if you so wish! It's just quite imbalanced doing it outright, the recommended approach is to do an advanced start and customize your map that way. My map is geared for space game play anyhow so you can use that if you want.

Thank your for the shout-out @raxo2222! But I feel for the prehistoric scenario that map isn't the best as there are few civs that are far away from each other.

My suggestion would be then to use one of the map generators and playing it in eternity speed with increased technology costs. Probably a standard sized map with 15 AI's?

As for the space scenario, @Airlangga you can of course play in modern times if you so wish! It's just quite imbalanced doing it outright, the recommended approach is to do an advanced start and customize your map that way. My map is geared for space game play anyhow so you can use that if you want.
Well you can't choose any eras in any scenarios.

Only in generated maps

Well you can't choose any eras in any scenarios.

Only in generated maps

I was using the term 'scenario' to refer to the specific kind of settings I wish to use for the 2 maps, not to the distinction the game makes between 'custom scenario' and 'custom game'. There is no problem with using generated maps as long as they can provide what I'm looking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Thanks for the information Kation!

I think I will go with your suggestion and use a generated map for the prehistoric game. How do I increase technology costs?

I will use your map for the space scenario.Sounds fun!

So I tried to set up the prehistoric game, but a very weird problem appeared: there are absolutely no animals.

I have tried to start maps under different settings and even with the "play now" option but to no avail. I have checked the animal spawn rate in the xml, which is still set to 100.
Strangely, when I load my old save game the animals all still appear and spawn as usual.
I have no idea what could have caused this weird problem.

And so it is that I turn to the wise elders of this council in hopes that they shall deliver me from this evil.

So I tried to set up the prehistoric game, but a very weird problem appeared: there are absolutely no animals.

I have tried to start maps under different settings and even with the "play now" option but to no avail. I have checked the animal spawn rate in the xml, which is still set to 100.
Strangely, when I load my old save game the animals all still appear and spawn as usual.
I have no idea what could have caused this weird problem.

And so it is that I turn to the wise elders of this council in hopes that they shall deliver me from this evil.
There is that risk if you use my rescaled latitude limits mod - Kation's space map needs it, since its Earth covers around 1/4th part of map (alternative is modmod that removes all latitude/longitude restrictios).
This means if you use this modmod on normal maps all animals will spawn only around equator (latitude limits are scaled down from +-90 to +=14).
There is backup of original latitude/longitude limits in my thread.

There is that risk if you use my rescaled latitude limits mod - Kation's space map needs it, since its Earth covers around 1/4th part of map (alternative is modmod that removes all latitude/longitude restrictios).
This means if you use this modmod on normal maps all animals will spawn only around equator (latitude limits are scaled down from +-90 to +=14).
There is backup of original latitude/longitude limits in my thread.

I haven't gotten around to downloading your mod yet, so I'm not using it as far as I know..
Also, I checked in the world builder and there are absolutely no animals anywhere, including around the equator.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

I haven't gotten around to downloading your mod yet, so I'm not using it as far as I know..
Also, I checked in the world builder and there are absolutely no animals anywhere, including around the equator.

Any ideas what could be causing it?
If its first turn of Eternity, then no animals had time to spawn - I think on Blitz no animals spawn for one turn and on Eternity - for first 20 turns or something like that.

That.... is probably it. And I'm feeling really stupid right now. I had actually checked for the first 7 turns or so, but I didn't know it would take so long.

Thanks for the help buddy!

Top Bottom