[GS] I need help with Diplomatic Victory

Bitterman

Warlord
Seriously, I get they wanted to force the players into the late game a little bit more, but this is just stupid. How am I supossed to beat this?

I would have to farm like 1 million favor (and trust that there is at least one emergency between votes too). The only way I see to win this is trying some tricky thing like delaying that tech/civic that gives you 1 DP or something like that. Or maybe hope that 2 emergencies happen.

Is there some secret streategy to win this? Am I doing something wrong? It's hard for me to believe that this was intended by the devs, there has to be something I'm passing by. I even built those two wonders that gave you DP's but it's useless since I think they start to vote against you when you get to 7 DP's.

Pls help.

I believe it is 8 not 7. The secret is to crank up your emergency levels and meet all civs as soon as possible and you should get up around 7-8 then get the others through seasteads and the other one.. carbon capture?
You can also near build the statue and keep an eye on everyone else I guess.
I have not done this victory condition and have stopped playing. This VC is just rubbish and needs a serious rework.

Carbon capture is a project that gives you +40 diplomatic favor but no victory points... unless you mean something else.

Emergency level is on maximun and I've win every single one through the game.

Honestly I may even win by cultural and I'm not even theming or sending Rock Bands to anyone... this is dumb.

The AI is less likely to vote against you (and more likely to vote for themselves) if you aren't close to winning. So, you might want to hold off on getting the points from the Seasteads technology and the Global Warming Mitigation civic.

You also get points for the Mahabodhi Temple and the Statue of Liberty, but delaying those likely means losing them.

Basically, the Diplomatic Victory idea needs a rethink. It's not well implemented at the moment.

But they'll lose they DP and you'll get a refund. I never had a problem with a diplomatic victory, i even get one in the last game when i was going for religious one. And i not even won or participated in a single aid emergency. But i have two alliances when almost everyone was angry on each other. If you look this way maybe it shouldn't be that easy to become officially recognized world leader when everyone is friends or at least trying to be.

Sure, you'll get a refund on your points, but you'll have to wait another 30 turns for the next vote. That's enough time for the AI to pick up a lot of points again. Even if they don't, it's another 30 turns. That's basically forever when you're trying to finish a game.

thats just the way it goes. you can soak their diplo points, religious spreads, settling close to them, archaeologists all trigger them giving you 30 points to stop it. its a pain it the butt to be sure but its effective .. still takes a while though.

the system is just terrible though. with the new patch civs get 30-100k gold so they can buy 2 builders .. its basically a commercial vc more than a diplomacy vc. how much money can you stuff down their throats and still win. its garbage. I refuse to take part in it anymore.

I played 1 game recently with 2 emergencies at the same time, and one of the targets won the other emergency .. so you are sending 10s of 1000s of gold to someone who doesn't need it, just for points. terrible.

They really need to fix how vote costs scale... That, and you need to buy off all the diplo favor with gold right before the vote

But they'll lose they DP and you'll get a refund. I never had a problem with a diplomatic victory, i even get one in the last game when i was going for religious one. And i not even won or participated in a single aid emergency. But i have two alliances when almost everyone was angry on each other. If you look this way maybe it shouldn't be that easy to become officially recognized world leader when everyone is friends or at least trying to be.

Even if I'm getting refunds and they are not... the way votes escalate it's almost impossible for me to win just by brute force. If they are 9 players like in my game, that's already 27 votes for free for them. I mean 3 votes for each it's nothing, that's the minimun they'll sink if they have a terrible diplo game. My 20st vote it's a couple hundreds of favor for me.

And also I can't buy any diplo favor from them, even if 4 or 5 are my allies they will not sell me anything. Probably for the same reason they vote against me in the congress, they don't want me to win (and honestly that's ok).

If you wipe 'em out they can't vote against you. ;)

Sorry, but it just goes to show how heavily this game is biased towards military conquest as the default way to further any other victory condition. The recent tweak where you lose diplomatic favor because of war-mongering grievances piling up is a noble attempt, but doesn't really make much difference.

Get 7 points through emergencies, wonders and votes. Stall researching seasteads and carbon recapture until you get to eight with a vote. Then tech/culture up seasteads and carbon recapture to win.

The AI won't vote you down until you get 8 points so the idea is to avoid having 8+ at any votes. If you get the 8th point through a vote that gives you 30 turns to safely get the last two from the tech/insp.

I won a turn 295 diplo win like that. A long game by normal standards but I haven't beat that time yet lol.

Diplo really isn't designed for more than maybe 8 civs. And even then it can be a slog. Victory point votes should start in the industrial era or when all civs have meet each other, whichever comes earlier. (Also, world congress should start in renaissance or when one civ has met everyone, whoever comes first, IMO.)

One help would be if it was actually impossible for your allies to vote to remove victory points from you. That's why I kind of wish the vote was set up as an actual 2-part vote in separate votes, and there were certain "rules" to it. Like, if everyone voted first on who was affected, and then the second round vote was either positive or negative, you could set a rule that says you cannot vote a negative against an ally.

If that were a rule, then that would remove 27 of the 62 opposing votes. If you forced them each to give you one positive vote, then you would also gain 4 votes, and thus win 26-25. Even if they didn't change the current voting format, but simply had the rule that you cannot vote negative against an ally, maybe the AI would have switched a few of them to be positive votes for themselves, which would have been enough to move the A side to the win, and you would have won on plurality there.

One help would be if it was actually impossible for your allies to vote to remove victory points from you. That's why I kind of wish the vote was set up as an actual 2-part vote in separate votes, and there were certain "rules" to it. Like, if everyone voted first on who was affected, and then the second round vote was either positive or negative, you could set a rule that says you cannot vote a negative against an ally.

If that were a rule, then that would remove 27 of the 62 opposing votes. If you forced them each to give you one positive vote, then you would also gain 4 votes, and thus win 26-25. Even if they didn't change the current voting format, but simply had the rule that you cannot vote negative against an ally, maybe the AI would have switched a few of them to be positive votes for themselves, which would have been enough to move the A side to the win, and you would have won on plurality there.
I'm not sure about the two-step voting idea, but I definitely think that allies shouldn't be able to vote to remove your diplo points.

I believe it is 8 not 7. The secret is to crank up your emergency levels and meet all civs as soon as possible and you should get up around 7-8 then get the others through seasteads and the other one.. carbon capture?
You can also near build the statue and keep an eye on everyone else I guess.
I have not done this victory condition and have stopped playing. This VC is just rubbish and needs a serious rework.

Get 7 points through emergencies, wonders and votes. Stall researching seasteads and carbon recapture until you get to eight with a vote. Then tech/culture up seasteads and carbon recapture to win.

The AI won't vote you down until you get 8 points so the idea is to avoid having 8+ at any votes. If you get the 8th point through a vote that gives you 30 turns to safely get the last two from the tech/insp.

I won a turn 295 diplo win like that. A long game by normal standards but I haven't beat that time yet lol.

In my last game (before the latest patch), the AI was voting me down when I was at 7 victory points. Although I still had enough Diplomatic Favor to force it through.

I'm doing a 1 city challenge and try to win diplomatically right now. You need to get envoys, influence and diplomatic favor from alliances, goverments and being a suzerain. With gold you will win the Aid requests and you also need to generate loads of GPPs to win the World Fair. Then just hoard Diplomatic Favor and win the votings for diplomatic victory points.

With a crazy income could you buy all the AI favour a turn before the votes so they can't dogpile you?

You know...

Seasteads is a Future Era technology, so you need really good Science. Global Warming Mitigation is a Future Era civic, so you need really good Culture. To win disaster emergencies, you need lots of Gold. To win World Fair, you need lots of GPPs. Plus, you need enough Production to build the two wonders and enough Diplomatic Favor to win a few votes.

You kind of have to win everything to win Diplomatic Victory. That seems a bit much.

You dont have to win everything. You just have to be well rounded. It's not a good VC for hyperfocused Civs but a lot of those civs where you go, "I'm not sure what VC I'm going for..." when you start a game with them are well suited to it.

Teching up to seasteads doesn't mean you need better science than Korea because all you have to do is reach the tech. Seonduk still needs to complete her projects. Getting carbon mitigation doesn't mean you need to be better than Pericles at culture. He still needs to get his tourism over yours.

I think the best civs are ones that are focused on production and gold. Phonecia, Germany, Inca, Scotland, etc seem to be the most solid choices imo. Focus on production and gold which wins emergencies and leads to everything else.

Top Bottom