1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I need some help picking a CIV.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ex.plode, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Ex.plode

Ex.plode Warlord

I'm pretty new to CIV5, only got it a couple days ago. I've been tinkering around with the different civ's and I am not sure what would suit me best.

So I am looking for peoples opinions on which civ's are easy to use so I can ease into this game with minor frustrations :p

I'm a fairly aggressive player, but not a big warmonger

If this is in the wrong spot im sorry D:

I've been thinking about the french, but I am not sure about the no bonus past steam power bit

2. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

Babylon
    Siam
    Mongolia
    China

Those civs are probably a good place to start, the first two especially if you don't want to war much.

3. Ex.plode

Ex.plode Warlord

Thanks, can you go a little more in depth though. :)

I'm pretty confused with what should attract me to a civ, UU's or traits?

4. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

For me, India would be a good place to start if you want to practice building Vertical Empires (a few cities with very large populations).

India gets some special bonuses for larger cities and the Unique Unit and Building are standard enough and don't require special strategies to use.

5. Ex.plode

Ex.plode Warlord

I've tried the Indians out a couple times, I'm a big fan of the pop growth but I am not so sure about the elephant, I've heard alot of negative things abit :|

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

For someone who likes wars? Rome and the Iroquois are a good bet. Both have excellent early-age fighting capabilities with unique abilities that last the whole game. Rome's a little better in a perfect game, but you'll need a lot of iron.

The Aztecs are a neat one to try too -- I didn't think I'd like them until I played as them! Culture for kills is handy in the beginning of the game.

7. Ex.plode

Ex.plode Warlord

I'll try 'em out, most likely start with the Aztecs for the reason you said:goodjob:

8. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

play as Japan and practice the Art of 1 unit per tile.

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Always settle near a river. I go Honor and hunt barbarians for double the usual culture (because of the Aztec unique ability) and build a couple huge cities because of the floating gardens. Build a lot of Jaguars and upgrade them so they keep their special ability.

10. Haig

Haig Deity

You might like China too.

Their UU and UB come quite early, and both are powerful.
    Paper maker ("money maker") gives you cold cash along with science, and Chu-ko-nu crossbowmen can make your enemies looking like porcupines. A good unit for both defense and offense.

China gives you Great Generals more often, you can lead your troops with them or just start Golden Ages with them, increasing your gold and production.

You had a hunch about France, I recommend them for you too, the culture boost they get gives you a lot of options to go with Social Policies, whatever suits your plans..
    I dread facing their musketman unit, especially in epic speed games.

Haven't tried out Aztecs yet actually. :)

By the way, get ALL the DLC civs and the Ancient wonders pack.. they really bring new flavor and options. Also fun to face new allies/enemies.. ;)

11. Babri

Babri Emperor

Either China, India or France if u want flexibility in your game. Other civs like Mongols & Songhai are for pure warmongering while Korea & Babylon are for science. China is well balanced, getting benefit in wars + extra :c5gold: from Paper Maker. France has good culture start & their UUs are simple yet powerful.

12. Cheeseisgood

Cheeseisgood Warlord

Jump in with the "Random Civ" option! That way you force yourself to play differently and learn different styles of play, especially if you're new. If you get rolled as the Romans or the Aztecs, try and do some warmongering. If you're rolled as say... Greece, try and work on city state relations for diplomatic victory, etc.

13. Poomermon

Poomermon Warlord

I would vote for China. It has 3 pretty good uniques and using them properly shouldn't be too hard even for a newbie. Furthermore China does not force you to play in a certain way and doesn't spoil the game for you (like Mongolian Keshiks are pretty overpowered and Frances early culture boost can make other civilizations look bad).

14. Haig

Haig Deity

I play mostly with random civ. :)

15. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

China is a overal good civilization you can play like you want with them .... Defencive or offensive

16. Cheeseisgood

Cheeseisgood Warlord

I do sometimes, but I prefer to go through and do a game with the ones I've ignored in an order now.

Random is great for when you're starting though, or just feel like playing a game without having any specific plans.