I pledge to not buy Civ 6 until it is released

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash88

Hail to the King Baby -DN
I pledge to not buy Civ 6 until it is released.

I love the Civ franchise. I hate what both pre-release and rush-to-market decisions do to good games. Because I genuinely want Civ 6 to be the best Civ ever I'm asking you to make this pledge with me. Make them finish the game before you give them your cash.

If you feel strongly about this you can go a step further and pledge not to buy it until the positive reviews are in, but that's a whole other level of commitment.

It may not be much, but voting with our wallet is the most we can do. So between that and doing nothing I will take it.

edit: Link to answer the question: How do preorders hurt gamers?

Interesting. What will that accomplish, exactly?

Why do you think there will be a better (or more finished like you phrased it) game if no one pre-purchased it?

Then, I do not pre-purchase anything unless there is a bonus in there for me (discount or something). However I will probably pre-purchase I game that I'm very interested in (like this one) a couple of days before release for pre-load purpose even if there is no discount (pre-load is a form of "bonus", a small one but still).

The initial offering is usually a disappointment. After the first patch it's better. Everyone should just curb their enthusiasm.

Civilization is my favorite game series of all time. Never been let down even through the meh days of Civ V which went on to be a great entry imo. So I feel like ordering early and essentially getting the first 4 DLCs for free ($60 deluxe from GMG) is worth it to me.

Sorry to ruin the plan! Now if this was an EA or Capcom game...

I will likely pre-order three copies. Two for myself so I can do some two player MP with a buddy of mine on my LAN and one for my daughter/son-in-law so we can do some MP.

Why do you think there will be a better (or more finished like you phrased it) game if no one pre-purchased it?
In the case of a specific game it would do absolutely nothing, however, on the grand scale the problems with "preorder-culture" and "day-1-must-buy-culture" should be obvious - the less people are willing to look the product before buying, the easier companies get away with releasing bad products on marketing/name recognition only. Ergo, in a world where people look at games before buying we would theoretically have better games being released because having a good game would be a lot more important if you actually plan on selling it.

That tends to be true even with refund-options being available - people are more likely to be invested in games that they have already physically invested in.

Pre-order factors for me:

1) If I am physically able, I will play this game immediately on release. It's part of the fun for me.
2) If the game sucks, at least for my copy, I'll be out what would cost me a dinner for two. I ain't gonna sweat that, period.
3) I'd probably only regret it if I found out immediately after release that it flat out wouldn't run or crashed every couple of minutes....I consider that highly unlikely.

I am pledging to wait, as well. It is killing me as I love Civ but after the last iteration, this will be the first time ever that I won't buy a Civ game as soon as it is available. Well, I suppose I did not buy Civilization 5: Beyond Earth or that Starships thing at all.

As far as waiting for positive reviews, the sycophantic gaming media will give Civ VI a 90%+ guaranteed, just like how they gushed over the moribund Civilization 5. So, they won't be any help.

In the case of a specific game it would do absolutely nothing, however, on the grand scale the problems with "preorder-culture" and "day-1-must-buy-culture" should be obvious - the less people are willing to look the product before buying, the easier companies get away with releasing bad products on marketing/name recognition only. Ergo, in a world where people look at games before buying we would theoretically have better games being released because having a good game would be a lot more important if you actually plan on selling it.

That tends to be true even with refund-options being available - people are more likely to be invested in games that they have already physically invested in.

This. The low-standards set by the market in gaming has long since stopped amazing me, but it still disappoints.

There's no true fundamental difference between pre-ordering a game and pre-ordering a movie, or pre-ordering music.

The "sell now, finish later" outcome in gaming is not entirely due to pre-order, but pre-order is not an insignificant factor.

I am pledging to wait, as well. It is killing me as I love Civ but after the last iteration, this will be the first time ever that I won't buy a Civ game as soon as it is available. Well, I suppose I did not buy Civilization 5: Beyond Earth or that Starships thing at all.

As far as waiting for positive reviews, the sycophantic gaming media will give Civ VI a 90%+ guaranteed, just like how they gushed over the moribund Civilization 5. So, they won't be any help.

Exactly. You hated Civ V. I loved it. I knew I would based on the previews since I had a very good idea of the pace and flow and I wasn't disappointed. I didn't even bother reading reviews as I recall. I could see some of the issues for myself but I still had a great time and didn't regret in the least my pre-order. I took a week off of work and played for hours and hours. I expect the same this go around....except I wish they'd drop the exploding units before release....:)

I will not buy Civ6 until it is on sale. Because I am Canadian and do not want to pay $80/$100 for a video game. But hey who knows, maybe the Loonie will bounce back up to 1:1 by October... Birthday wish

Same here Talcove, though usually with GMG discounts I've been able to get back the currency exchange (so it might work out to $60 CDN).

I don't know if this works the same in Canada, but with Amazon, if you have Amazon prime, you can pre-order the game for a 20% discount, with a guarantee that if the price drops, you'll get the difference. They also guarantee an Oct. 21 delivery date. I liked Civ V, loved it after BNW - and from what I've seen I will like Civ 6 even more. I hadn't planned on ordering in advance, but it just looks too much like something I'm going to love. So I've pre-ordered and getting it on the 21st.

And I pledge to pre-order Civ6, either in August or September at the latest. As Rastak said, playing it right away is part of the fun, even if patches will make it better--patches that will come whether I pre-order it or not.

You have my axe ash88.

I totally agree with you 100% OP. I've been wishing people do this for a long time. Unfortunately most people don't care about making a statement anymore. As long as they get to play first, they don't care what state the game is in.

Pre-ordering CIV 6 the next time GMG puts out a sale.

I guess I just don't care about video game culture enough.

*not pledging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom