I quit Civilization 3!

Killer: I don't get it either :)

Today, with the latest patch, the AI finally surprise attacked me. Twice in fact! First the Japanese, who were on the other side of the Earth, decided they would take a shot at me with a warrior who was wandering through my territory. Great, I used my good relations with everyone else to form an alliance with just about everyone against the Japanese, and sat back and watched while their empire got reduced to three cities.

Then, a little later, when I was in war with someone else, the Americans, who I was supplying iron to, decided they would use that iron to make swordsmen to surprise attack me with. Of course, 3 swordsmen coming in your territory together looks a bit suspicious, so I was prepared. I tried to sign them up for a gpt deal (say if they have a tech you don't you give them a generous amount of gold per turn for it. If they go ahead with the surprise attack, they lose the gold and it's their fault obviously) but they didn't have anything decent to trade. So I just got my troops ready, and then countered after the "surprise" attack. I once again got some allies and went and slaughtered them.

So there you go; I got surprise-attacked twice, but I don't think it was a real big deal. I took it on the chin, and then used my good standing to sign other civs to alliances against the ones who attacked me. I think it's all part of the game, and I tend to screw other civs far worse than they screw me.

Sirp: great! That's the way I like it - what I hate is when i get these attacks every few turns, and from several civs at once - while they all are polite and with ROP.....

You're back! :rolleyes:

I thought you quit CIV3 on Jul 20, 2002 10:59 AM:D

Guess you've never been gone!
:goodjob:

Lt. M - I'm also one of those who is rarely attacked by ai despite being militarily weak (note: i usu. play monarch or emporer level, standard map, 5-8 civs). I think that part of the secret is the way that you expand your empire - I never settle the terrain in such a way that I "block" one civ from another - if two civs want to go to war, I don't want to be in the middle (I got burned several times in my early games doing that). Also I use MPPs a lot or prior to MPPs I bribe one civ to go to war against another - by not blocking one civ from another, the two of them can attack each other and leave me alone.

I'm a big fan of being militarily weak early while I build some infrastructure and trading early and often with my militarily strongest neighbor and in a way designed to make war with me unattractive for him - I almost always accept his trades straight rather than bargain him up/down; I will pay almost anything to have a RoP with him, thus making an attack much less likely; my trades are always in gpt rather than lump sum. By making that strong neighbor an ally, I effectively "buy" my security on the cheap while I concentrate on infrastructure.

If you still keep getting sneak attacked all the time, try playing some radically different play styles. There are ways to live in peace - there must be something in your play style which is triggering these attacks.

It happens. Zouave complains (and quits) just about every day now, but he keeps coming back for more!

Killer just had a bad day. It happens to everyone, and to some people every day! PtW will improve Civ 3 a lot, don't worry. I still think naval combat is really messed up. An attacking ironclad killed one of my fortified battlecruisers... :(

Originally posted by Higher Game
It happens. Zouave complains (and quits) just about every day now, but he keeps coming back for more!

Killer just had a bad day. It happens to everyone, and to some people every day! PtW will improve Civ 3 a lot, don't worry. I still think naval combat is really messed up. An attacking ironclad killed one of my fortified battlecruisers... :(

Wrong again.

I never said I "quit". I said yesterday I've played my last Civ 3 if I can't turn down the crazy Flipping problem in the Editor/Culture. Still playtesting that.

As for complaining, if all the fanboys who so ADORED Civ 3 as soon as it came out were the entire Civ 3 audience Firaxis would have never felt the need to make any patches. You can thank me later.

Originally posted by GI Josh
I never settle the terrain in such a way that I "block" one civ from another (snip) Also I use MPPs a lot or prior to MPPs I bribe one civ to go to war against another (snip) trading early and often with my militarily strongest neighbor and in a way designed to make war with me unattractive for him - I almost always accept his trades straight rather than bargain him up/down; I will pay almost anything to have a RoP with him, thus making an attack much less likely; my trades are always in gpt rather than lump sum. By making that strong neighbor an ally, I effectively "buy" my security on the cheap while I concentrate on infrastructure.

Just what I tried to do... and they end up being envious or I find I sit on saltpeter and they haven't hooked up theirs yet - bang! they rather attack than keep the 22 Gold flowing I pay per turn.... :(

Thanx for the hints, I hagve found all this to help, but in around half to two thirds of my Regent and higher games they still come in hordes.... Like sending 50 Horsemen into my territory during ROP, then attacking and taking 5 cities in the first turn, then contacting me the next turn and demading 3 cities more for peace..... while my military was equal since htey had just lost a mayor war against another civ and where way weak...... :(

JustListen, Portuguese:

I don't play CIv3 atm, I experiment with games to find out how, when and why the AIs attitude towards the human player shifts. I will be back, surely, but atm I get so bored if I try playing for fun i quite after a few turns........ :(

Cya round!

50 horsemen into your territory? Are you serious killer? I've never seen them send so many. hmm...maybe we should play a succession game together, and see what happens; I'm certainly up for the challenge of seeing 50 horsemen in my territory! Would be a nice change with the drib-drabs of longbowmen I get at the moment!

Sirp: the K-games are rather full, but atm quite a few folks dropped out - holiday time. I'll open a nice one if you want to..... call it KS-1 (Killer-Sirp-1)....... CU there!

Killer: ok; btw you're also welcome to join my game, SP1; but it's Always War, so you won't be able to blame the AI for screwing us around :)

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
JustListen, Portuguese:

I don't play CIv3 atm, I experiment with games to find out how, when and why the AIs attitude towards the human player shifts. I will be back, surely, but atm I get so bored if I try playing for fun i quite after a few turns........ :(

Cya round!

Sorry for knowing that... :(
Hope to have you back to the game soon...

Top Bottom