1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I really can't tell if there's Miasma.

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by VengerBR, Oct 26, 2014.

1. VengerBR

VengerBR Chieftain

Specially when zoomed out, it's impossible to tell if there's Miasma or not in a tile.

It's such a faint cyan mist that blends so well with the terrain that it's basically impossible to tell there's miasma unless I hover the tile with the cursor.

Any way to change it's color through mods or is there anything that can be done for this?

2. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

Yeah, it is kinda annoying. Red would have been a better color for it.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

As you note, if you hover your mouse pointer over the tile, the terrain details, including whether miasma is present, will appear in the top right of the screen (next to the minimap).

You can also go into Game Options and change the Map Info Delay slider to 0 seconds -- that will cause the tile terrain details to appear immediately next to your mouse pointer.

4. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Ya I agree this should be changed. Purple, red, or even blue would have all been better options instead of green.

5. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

When you set trade routes, all miasma tiles have this hostile red skull on them.

If only we could activate that for regular gameplay....

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

It's probably not reddish because that would look too much like xenofungus.

It would be more clear if there were bleach-white elephant bones and smoke from the lava flooding, though.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

What's odd is that in the early builds, the miasma was much brighter and easier to see.

Then

Now

It seems like the art director made quite a few choices for aesthetic reasons that work to the detriment of gameplay.

8. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Purple miasma would be the best.

9. King Abbas

King Abbas Chieftain

I agree with the OP, miasma needs to be more clearly visible on the map.. maybe a darker colour?

10. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

Miasma is so near impossible to spot it's one of my main concern with the game.

11. Arrowstorm

Arrowstorm Chieftain

You can't have very big concerns then, seems fairly easy for Firaxis to fix it in a patch or something.

12. Lanth

Lanth Warlord

Actually the left picture for 'then' is Biomass + miasma, and such a tile still looks like that today. The right picture for 'then' clearly has contrast and saturation turned way up, and is also on the Lush biom.

Both pictures for 'now' are on the Fungal biom, where it does blend in a bit more.

But yeah, it should be either red or purple.

13. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Another possibility is to have miasma change colour every second or so, say blue -> green -> purple -> blue, that way it would be visible on all tiles and be more eye-catching.

14. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

Yes, I agree. It's definitely hard to see, especially when the base tile is greenish (grassland for example). I have to constantly hover just to make sure there's no miasma. Perhaps, they'll tweak the colour - blue would be a good one since it's not too common. Or as someone said, a shifting colour but that may push the GPU harder than they like.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't need it to change color, but making it thicker would be a good idea. A dense cloud that obscures the tile would be fine with me.

I'll still confuse it with Xenomass, but I can suck that up.

16. The_Reckoning

The_Reckoning Prince

17. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Yes, I have a lot of trouble seeing miasma on some tiles, too. It was one of the first things I noticed.