I sacked Rome...that's gotta hurt

snoproblem

Chieftain
:)

Shouldn't there be an achievement awarded for capturing the ancient Roman capitol? It's considered a fairly major historical event - or so I've been told.

You're joking about the achievement, right?

I've captured Rome dozens of times early game. And Babylon. And others.

Never said it was climbing Everest, but come on - they have an achievement for promoting a unit. How about a little reference to the fall of Rome?

BTW, it was my first time doing it in two years of playing. I like using random AI's in my games, and Rome has turned up only three times, give or take. In one of those appearances, he DOW'd me (I was playing Bismarck), and it turned into a 200+ turn slug-fest where Rome finally cried uncle - and I still didn't get to capture his capitol.

There is an entire scenario dedicated to the fall of Rome. There are plenty of achievements related to it:

Et tu, Brute - Win the scenario.
Turks Shmurks! - Capture Constantanople as any enemy power (Not Istanbul).
Double KO - Capture both Rome and Constantinople in the same game.
Pax Romana Aeternum - Win the game as Eastern or Western Rome on Deity, and have all your original cities under your control.
I Missed That Day in History Class - Capture any Sassanid city as the Celts.
I Sunk Your Imperial Capital! - Capture Rome as the Vandals using a boat.

How do you possibly win the deity one? Usually Rome gets crushed super ez with its huge ineffective armies, basically zero production and massive unhappiness.

It's pretty hard, but you can do it if you learn the events that occur in the beginning. The first 10-12 turns are really important, after that it is pretty straightforward. There are some guides out there, and if you manage to minimize your initial losses to only a few cities you can manage to push back and even do some conquering (the Sassanids are actually the biggest contender so you might need to conquer them).
It's easier with Byzantium because after you start pushing out the invaders you can also use Dromons to help the Western empire take back it's cities. The score for the entire team matters so you need to help them quite a lot.
Each time I played with the Western Roman empire, Byzantium got almost completely wiped out, so the team score was too low.

Top Bottom