I saw Civ4 in Walmart, and wanted to buy it

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by stwils, Jun 15, 2006.

1. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

As soon as the conroe is released, build a PC. :king:, Forget dell.

Anyway, you dont need a new PC to get windows XP, you can just buy and install it, then play Civ 4. :)

2. MadMaligor

MadMaligor Chieftain

Actually I would disagree with some of what is said here and go with the advice you were given. Im not a huge tech geek but as I understand it the dual cores will require a different socket and thus a whole new slew of board types. If the technology does live up to the hype and provides decent upgrades to current processing speeds your going to see some serious discounts in the market for older chips and boards. In fact your seeing some of that now.

Waiting a month or three is not a bad idea if you have waited this long and as someone mentioned Civ IV can be played on 98 (though this may not be possible depending on your system makeup).

Here is another reason to wait. The expansion is going to be released very soon as well. Inevitably a combo pack will follow shortly after that. In any event Civ IV will surely come down in price (especially if you buy online).

Waiting isnt always the best option for sure, but dont listen to people tell you about the nature of the beast and how if you wait in the computer market you will wait forever. There are real reasons to wait when a true plateu is jumped in the industry. That is why your probably getting the kind of adivice you are from a techie friend of yours.

3. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Huh, you said yourself you were not a tech geek, so I wonder on what you are basing yourself when you say not to listen those who say not to listen those who say to wait.... feeling maybe?

4. Sir Janus

Sir Janus Warlord

Don't listen to those who say not to listen to those who say not to listen to those who say ..
    Instead, listen to those who say listen to those who say not to listen to those who say listen to those other ones.

I spent £750 on a Dell laptop (9300) - added 2Gig memory (for £120) and now have a machine which will play large Earth maps at 1920*1200 with no noticeable delays at all ( there again the other civs aren't very big :ar15: ;)

5. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

While this is a very good supporting arguement, and a valid perspective. I would still advice on not worrying about it anyways. Mainly because I doubt the user will be able to recognize the performance improvement for at least 3 years anyways unless stwils is a super power user. Even then it won't be extremely noticable as I would bet even 2G of RAM can't really support it's power. A 4Ghz will be able to take care of anything that comes out for at least the next 5 years I would guess for the average person. As far as games go the market is pretty safe with the 4G processor with PCI-E for quite some time to come.

As a rough but similar example - Look at the Xbox 360. It is new and is awesome with wonderful capabilities. But I would bet that most games that come out on it don't take advantage of the new abilities. Why? Because the programmers haven't had the time to get familiar with all the new possibilities now available. A good reference for this would be the game "Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter" as it was released on Xbox1 and 360 at the same time upon release. It is the same game though just marketed to both people at the same time.

Even if it does revolutionize the industry (which I am sure it will do obviously - but in the smallest of ways) the original chip being the first of the revolution will go obsolete fast anyways. Not to mention that with the hardware being very new it merely opens possiblities of future software and as such there will be no real way available yet to capitalize on this. If your going to wait, don't wait to get this chip rather than wait for the old chip (thats out now) to get cheaper.

6. gmanne

gmanne Safe One

Solution? Buy Civ 4 NOW, dribble over it in private, maybe even kiss it goodnight a little. This will make you, and anyone else shopping where you shop, most happy. Buy the super-special CPU later, if that's what you really want.

Personally, I'd just keep a look out for a good system now. Bargains pop up all the time. Chasing the next techno wizfest is a fools errand if you are not flush with cash. Good-luck, but you don't know what you are missing if you wait though. ;)

7. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

8. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Listen to those who have the last word?

Seriously, I have nothing against Dell as I don't know anything about it, but I don't think waiting for a double-core processor will have any game run better. What do you expect? A revolution? There never has been revolution in computers, or the revolution is everyday, your choice. But new technologies are there just to stick with the law of Moore, and to stick with the other components of the machines.
    You will always find something to wait for. The double-core processors are not here to make your computer a revolutionnary computer, but to allow the law of Moore to perpetuate. First double-core processors will not be powerfull, and the followers will just be slightly more powerfull until being monsters of power, but that will be in a couple years. Oh, while we're at it, why not to wait for the triple core processors?
    The fact is one does not give a **** to those multiple core processors story.
    You buy a gaming monster computer, you buy a gaming monster computer. Period. You're happy.
    It will be obsolete in 2 years, that's it.

9. NikNak

NikNak Warlord

Seriously, don't bother waiting. I work for one of the major American IT resellers and there really is no point in waiting for the "Conroe" processors. By the time you get them Intel will be halfway through the development cycle on a new series. Just get a decent PC now and make sure you get one that has at least 1GB of RAM and a video card that supports T&L.

10. stwils

stwils Emperor

A big thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.:)

I am taking all your advice seriously.

As things stand now, I will wait until the end of July and see what prices do. But I will not wait forever to get the new computer I need to play Civ4.:agree:

stwils

11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

You never told us what your current setup was?

I assume you have a reasonable computer if your online :)

12. stwils

stwils Emperor

I have a Dell 20 gig, 128 Ram, Windows 98SE. Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8x. It plays Civ3 perfectly.

I also have a laptop - Dell Inspiron 8000 with GeForce to Go graphics, Windows ME, 256 Ram

As you can see, both computers are good, BUT will not play Civ4. Therefore, I am now going to get a new computer. Still I will hang on to the Dell Windows 98 as it will play Civ1 DOS. And I have no reason at the moment to get rid of the laptop.

Thanks for your interest.

stwils

13. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

If the whole motivation for a new PC is simply to play Civ4, save yourself some money and upgrade this PC.

Guys, what upgrades would stwils need for this box to play Civ4 reasonably?

14. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Processor speed wasn't listed. The RAM would need to go up to at least 1 Gig, which isn't too expnsive right now. I believe a 1G chip is 100.00 with possibilities of mail-in rebates at Circuit City usually.

If the processor is 2G or under I am not sure the socket that can be upgraded. I suck at CPU sockets. However, if you can find someone that does PC repair you may be able to get a good deal. Ther is a guy here in the city that is going to upgrade my motherboard to PCI-E slot with a 4Ghz AMD and a new GeForce video card (256 I believe) for 400 bucks. Then I will probably buy a power machine in a few years when this one is a clunker once again.

15. jorey

jorey Chieftain

I always get a kick out of people waiting for the "newest thing" to come out. Seriously, haven't you people realized it's just marketing?

Oh and BTW, I got a bridge for sale... good price! :lol:

16. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

You can buy a new computer for $500 that will play Civ4 just fine. IMHO you should do that, and replace it in a year or two if you want. That makes way more sense than waiting for the "latest thing" which will cost you $2000 or more for only a modest performance improvement.

17. jac0001

jac0001 Chieftain

Ok my advice is to wait a couple of months for the this new technology that is coming, then buy a system that you could buy right now.

That is stay a step or 2 behind the latest and greatest and you get the best value for money..... :)

18. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I dont think the latest system will be over expensive. The CPU prices are quoted from Intel around $200 for lowest chip. If you spend a lot on graphics, faster DDR2 and a huge monitor then this might change but the other variables would be the same for any other new machine. You'll probably pay a $20-$30 dollar premium on the motherboard. Also the question of whether the demand for the new chip and low supply forces up prices. Pc prices have generally crumbled over last few years anyway. Intel has been flogging those cpus to anyone who will buy one. Its gotta clear the excess stock. (Dump)

19. stwils

stwils Emperor

Tell me which computer you are talking about. Sounds too good to be true.

stwils

20. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Ok to play Civ4 or any recent game at a 'playable' level you need :-

1 gig ram
    A 5700 + (nvidia) or 9600 (radeon) gfx card.
    2 ghz processor

In that order. Believe me, I've tried it on so many different systems now I can assure you that the above spec will run Civ4 just fine.